1748170 Members
3982 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Another EVA to 3PAR Migration Question

mike vaccaro
Occasional Advisor

Another EVA to 3PAR Migration Question

I read the guide, but need to be sure of 2 issues.

EVA 4100 to 3PAR 7200. Only Window 2008R2 servers.

All the Zoning is done on the 3PAR switches, right?

The only zoning that is done on the EVA is to disconnect the Windows Host server (when asked).

The Windows Host server is NOT be Zoned (on the 3PAR) until asked to (not before hand), right?

Adding the DSM '3PARdataVV' is that done manually or does it get added automatically?

4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Basically,  yes.

All the zoning is done, when asked on the switches. (There are no "3PAR switches".)

The '3PARdataVV' string can be manually added in Windows MPIO ahead of time, or once the Windows server is zoned to the 3PAR, it will show up in MPIO as a new potential device type. You click on it and add it.

Either way, when adding the '3PARdataVV' string, Windows will want to reboot.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

sergio_rolandi
Occasional Advisor

Hello Mike,

As for SAN zonin you are right, just follow the manual and the migration  interface indications.

Just in case you are dealing with windoes 2008 clusters.

This is what I have done on the windows server, and it worked flawlessly.

STOP (not pause) all the EVA volume replication, valid for servers and clusters, this is not supported (however, it will warn you with an error message )

If the Host is a cluster member, you have to release all the SCSI on the cluster volumes, before the migration.
The Windows 2008 cluster must be disabled and all the cluster applications must be STOPPED on all the cluster nodes.

1. Configure from control panel Windows 2008 Microsoft MPIO DSM add 3PARdataVV as device HW ID
2. Just to be on the safe side, on Clusters, I setted to Manual the cluster service, in that way they will not start at the required MPIO change reboot. They can be started after the migration manually (then set them automatic again).
3. Shutdown Host, after the migration in started you can reboot the servers/clusters

Regards

Sergio

mike vaccaro
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sheldon & Sergio,

Sheldon when you say there are no "3PAR switches". To be clear I'm running 2 independent SAN's. The EVA & 3PAR share nothing. So the Zoning is done on the 3PAR side only. I'm bring 3 fibre cables from the EVA to the 3PAR. 2 cables are from the EVA controllers & 1 from the CV server. I'm zoning them on the 3PAR side.

Sergio, I'm NOT using Clustering, but I am using Replication. When you say to 'stop & not pause', the choices are 'resume & suspend'. Do you mean 'suspend' or should I remove replication completely?

Thanks,

Mike

sergio_rolandi
Occasional Advisor

Mike,

Sorry I should have said "Stop and Remove", even if suspended, the migration interface will intercept the volume replication relationship, and not allow you to continue.

It is up to you if you want to leave the replicated volumes in a consistent state, in this case you probably have to do something before stopping the replica.

Regards

Sergio