cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices to move VV between CPG´s that already has AO rules associated

Heiner Hardt
Occasional Contributor

Best practices to move VV between CPG´s that already has AO rules associated

I have a group of VV´s used by my SQL environment allocated inside a single CPG with FC RAID-5 configuration. We already have another SSD CPG used only for AO movements (no entire VV´s allocated here). Our main AO rule moves only data between Tier-0(SSD) and Tier-1 (FC). We dont want to have those VV´s data allocated inside NL disks anyway. 

Now we need to move some VV´s out of this FC RAID-5 CPG and move them to another CPG (same disks and RAID level) for rearrangement purposes. This CPG will be assigned to another AO rule (using NL disks as Tier-2).  We are planning to do that using DO (tunevv) with no RAID level change.

My question here is, considering that I have regions from this VV´s already splitted between two tiers (according to the main AO rule), will the tunevv process move those regions out of the SSD tier and bring they back consolidated into the new CPG or it will only move data from the original CPG to the destination CPG leaving data in SSD untouched? Should I do something manually? Is there something I should take care?

Bellow follows the final layout:

Before  DO

------------

VVNAME                  CPG (Orig)            AO_Rule

VV_xxxx                  FC_DBA_R5         T0 and T1

After   DO

----------- 

VVNAME                  CPG (Dest)           AO_Rule

VV_xxxx                  FC_DBB_R5         T0, T1 and T2

Any thoughts?

1 REPLY
Sheldon Smith
Honored Contributor

Re: Best practices to move VV between CPG´s that already has AO rules associated

While the AO configuration is not running, tunevv the desired volumes to FC_DBB_R5.

It would be a Good Idea to suspend the StartAO schedule while the tunevv's are running.

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!