HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1751805 Members
5003 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can't see my host's wwn in 3PAR

venkat2311

Hello Marc, Did you really have to reboot ? did you reboot nodes one by one?

We have a similar problem where ports are detected on one fabric and not appearing on second fabric.

Was node restart suggested by 3par support?

Many thanks. Please can anyone share similar experience and resolution.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Have you tried using "showportdev findport WWN N:S:P"?

Where the WWN is that of the host's HBA.  And the N:S:P is one of the ports connected to the FC fabric.

You can also use "showportdev fcfabric N:S:P" to list all of the connected devices.

This should ignore any zoning.  So if you see it but can't connect, it's likely a zoning issue.

Angelo2

Have dealt with this proiblem a number of times.

When adding in a HPUX host to 3par it seems in short you need to manually create the initators using 3PAR CLI

here are the steps that have worked for me:

1. Complete all your switch zoning
  2. Manually Create your 3PAR Host entry to initiate connection using following 3PAR CLI command:

createhost -persona 7 hpux-hostname 1122334455667799(WWN) 1122334455667788(WWPN)

3. Add the second HBA WWN using the same steps above for the second or subsequent HBAs using the following command in 3PAR CLI:

createhost -add hpux-hostname 1122334455667799(WWN) 1122334455667788(WWPN)

4. Rescan HBAs on the HPUX server - (#ioscan –fnNCdisk)    *** You need this step otherwise WWNs wont show up !
  5. Your host should be present now with the HBA ports assigned and connected to the 3PAR ports as normal N:S:P.
  6. Check Host initiators on 3PAR (edit host properties). Sometimes the above commands adds the WWNN (WWnode name) as an initiator and you only need the Port Name there.  – remove any WWNN initiators as required so all you should see are the WWNs you require the same as your other host servers.

Have done it this way several times !

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Can't see my host's WWN in 3PAR

If you have Host Explorer running on the hosts, you will be able to see an entry for that host in showhost.

showhost -agent will show more info.

mashal
Occasional Visitor

Re: Can't see my host's WWN in 3PAR

I had the exact same issue as most of you guys and here is how i fixed it:

1) Ensured zoning was correct and presented
2) Re-did the server profile, generated new WWNs and rezoned.
3) Checked 3par management console to edit the host but still only one set of WWNs visible. 
4) In the edit host screen, i attempted to manually add the missing WWN. It failed but gave me an error message saying that WWN is already in use! Did some digging around and determined that:

VMM manages objects so when it sees some sort of presence it goes ahead and creates a host automatically.  Therefore, under the list of hosts you will see "host-"WWN"" in that format. Make sure to shut down your host, and delete this host from 3PAR.  It took quite a few minutes for me to complete. I'm sure its similar in VMWare when you are re-purposing or re-building a blade host within a cluster. 

5) Power your host back on, and once it is back up edit host in 3PAR and you will see all WWNs present. Ta da!