1753479 Members
4981 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure HP 3PAR Peer Ports for Import Migration

Emad Omar
Regular Advisor

Configure HP 3PAR Peer Ports for Import Migration

We are planning to go through doing import migration from P6300 to 3PAR 7200 and also from EVA4400 to 3PAR 7200 too.

What I need to know is what is the best practice to configure peer ports of 3PAR (We have only the integrated 4x8Gb/s FC Ports) and how can I zone these ports with P6300 ?

DO I need to configure them as below:

0:1:1 Peer, P2P

0:1:2 Host, P2P

1:1:1 Peer, P2P

1:1:2 Host, P2P

IтАЩm sure there is a trick on zoning these ports with P6300.

SAN Switch UP:

Zone1: FP1 of Ctrl/UP zoned with 0:1:1

Zone2: FP1 of Ctrl/Down zoned with 1:1:1

Please HELP!!

9 REPLIES 9
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

See http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-3PAR-StoreServ-Storage/improper-eva-to-3par-online-import-configuration/m-p/6471610#M1282

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Emad Omar
Regular Advisor

Thank you Smith.

It is clear now for Peer Ports.

But what about the zoning. I think it is very important to zone these two peer ports so the P6300 can detect these ports and also to allow 3PAR detect the pWWN of P6300 ports.

Note that Peer Motion License is installed and valid till Nov 2014.

Thanx.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

msaeed
Occasional Advisor

what potrs did you used for as peer ports on 3PAR, I used the belwo settings, is it correct please can some one clarfiy..

0:1:1 Peer,      connected to SW1

1:1:2 Host,     connected to SW1

0:1:2 Host,    connected to  SW2

1:1:1 Peer,     connected to  SW2

Is the above correct as I have seen in some documents that they are specifically asking to us epartner ports as peer ports, so I gues it is correct..

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

As a general rule, even-numbered ports are connected to one fabric, odd-numbered ports to the other. With only the four ports, it doesn't make any real difference. However if you ever expand your SAN, it may preclude any future confusion if you rearrange them now:
0:1:1 Host to SW1
1:1:2 Host to SW2
0:1:2 Peer to SW2
1:1:1 Peer to SW1

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

msaeed
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply,

But I took 1 day online training for this online import and peer motion course and in the Lab guide and student guideof module 2 which covers online import they have specifically mentioned abut using the partner ports as peer nodes, so to get two unique paths we have to connect partner ports on two different san switches to achieve this, will this create any issues related to discrepancy of SAN zoning..

After doing the migration we can revert back to the odd and even number cabaling once we change peer ports ot host ports..

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Partner ports need to be on the same fabric. With just the four ports, it's better to have each Peer port on separate fabrics. And yes, you wind up sacrificing the port partner failover.

You should at least consider adding the 4-port FC cards to the nodes.

Regards

Accept or Kudo

msaeed
Occasional Advisor

so it means we have to connect partner potrs on the same fabirc and in this way if we make those partner ports as peer which is mentioned int he docs then eventually we will be using one path and not two unique paths as mentioned in the guide..

I dont have a HBA card so I have to work with built in ports, so what should I do now.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Either continue with them connected as you have them, or as I suggested. Either way they won't be partner ports.

Accept or Kudo