HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1748239 Members
3675 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Converting volumes from FAT to Thin?

A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Converting volumes from FAT to Thin?

Hi,

We have an HP StoreServ 7200 with 3.1.2 (MU 1).

It has the following thin features enabled - thin conversion, thin copy reclamation, thin provisioning and thin persistance.

We originally create all the volumes FAT. We now want to conver to thin as according to the THin technologies documentation:-

All HP 3PAR StoreServ systems running HP 3PAR OS 3.1.2 have the ability to make a convert from a thin-provisioned volume to a fully-provisioned volume (or vice versa) without requiring an offline transition.

Converting from full to thin provisioning saves space for volumes that are sparsely consumed whereas thin to full provisioning saves on thin provisioning license usage for volumes that are mostly or completely allocated.

The tunevv command is used to convert between fully-provisioned and thinly-provisioned Virtual Volumes. In the following example, the logical disks used for user space are moved to CPG FC_r5 for virtual volume vol01 and the virtual volume is converted to a TPVV:

cli% tunevv usr_cpg FC_r5 -tpvv vol01

If we use the tunevv command it fails and saying we need a Dynamic optimisation license.

In the GUI the option is greyed out.

There is no mention of an additional license requirement in the documentation.

If anyone can assist/advise it would be great.

Thanks

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Sorry, but the documentation does say that. I'm looking at the tunevv command in the HP 3PAR Command Line Interface Reference manual:

RESTRICTIONS
This command requires a Dynamic Optimization license. Contact your HP representative for
information.

To change online, either from one CPG to another, or between fully provisioned and thin, you need the Dynamic Optimization license. 

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for pointing this reference out,

But my query is how to convert FAT volumes to Thin volumes on the Storeserve 7200. The HP Technical whitepaper on HP 3Par Thin Technologies states:-

This тАЬthinningтАЭ of volumes enables data centers to meet green IT targets, eliminate wasted space, and increase utilization rates. Because the fat-to-thin conversion mechanism is built into the array hardware, volume conversions take place inline and at wire speeds, while preserving service levels, and without causing disruption to production workloads. The use of HP Thin Conversion software is supported across all HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage systems and requires that an HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning license is present on the destination array. The zero-detect capability, required for thin conversion, has to be enabled on every destination TPVV.

There is nothing here about an additional Dynamic Optimisation license.

If the only way to do this conversion is to purchase the Dynamic optimisation license, then so be it, but it would have been nice to know.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Sorry about that. I've just been informed it will be noted in the next revision of the whitepaper.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo