4297 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Disk movement from one 3par storage to other 3par storage

TruptiMahadik
Occasional Visitor

Disk movement from one 3par storage to other 3par storage

Hi All,

I have 2 3par storage arrays (8200-2 nodes). I need to move some drives from one array to another. High level design is ready for hardware movement, but how data movement will take place is bit confusing.

In source storage, I have to move data from some hard disks to others and then move those hard disks to another array.

In Destination storage, once disks are added to array. I need to have all existing data to be scattered on all disks (i.e. existing + newsly added)

Need process for this activity.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Emil Velez_2
Trusted Contributor

Well moving data between arrays can be done many ways.

1.  Peer Motion and Federation is a method of moving virtual volumes (online or offline) between arrays.  IT does require FC links between the arrays

2. Remote copy can also copy volumes between arrays using FC or IP.  

I am not aware of any way to move data on specific disks from one array to another.  The data from all volumes are striped across all of the arrays of a specific tier of volumes.

It is possible I do not fully understand what you are trying to accomplish. I hope this helped.

Emil Velez
Instructor Storage, Servers, HP-UX and Partner Courses
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Education Services
Ask me about training on StoreServ (3PAR) StoreOnce, StoreEasy, StoreAll, StoreVirtual, HP-UX, ServiceGuard and HPE Partner Ready Certification Training

internet: Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/emilvelez

HPE Master ASE Server Solutions Architect V3
HPE Master ASE Storage Solutions Architect V2
HP UNIX Certified (ASE HPUX 11iv3 Administration V1)
Certified HPE Instructor
HPE Product Certified - OneView [2016]
HP Sales Certified -Servers, Converged Systems and Services [2015]
HPE Product Certified - Converged Solutions [2017]
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

> In source storage, I have to move data from some hard disks to others and then move those hard disks to another array.
You have virtual volumes on physical disks that you want to move. You will need one or more CPGs created to use just the remaining disks, then use Dynamic Optimization to move existing virtual volumes to the new CPGs.
Then you need to get the spare chunklets removed from the physical disks and finally dismiss the physical disks. You will need assistance from HPE 3PAR Support.

>In Destination storage, once disks are added to array. I need to have all existing data to be scattered on all disks (i.e. existing + newsly added)
Now you are adding disks to an 8200. Software is licensed both by system and by number of disks. It is very likely you will need additional licensing to accommodate the moved disks.
Once past that point, you would use "tunesys" to "re-balance resources on the system."

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

TruptiMahadik
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Emil. But I do not want to move "Data" between storages. I need to remove some used disks from one 3par storage (As it is very less utilized) and need to add those disks in other 3par system (As it is highy utlized and facing storage space crunch issue).So wanted to know what procedure needs to follow to remove used disk from one system and what have to do once we add those disks in another system.

Thanks and Regards,

Trupti

TruptiMahadik
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Smith. We already have CPGs which consist all disk. Do you want today that create new CPG excluding the disks wanted to move and then migrate volumes to new CPG using dynamic optimization feature.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

hi

look at this post   Remove a PD permanently.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/3PAR-StoreServ-Storage/Remove-a-PD-permanently/m-p/6965127#M3237

then add the disks to the new system you need licensing that includes the new disks

and run tunsys after all is finished

Regards

Give a KUDO if this helps

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

@TruptiMahadik wrote:

Thanks Smith. We already have CPGs which consist all disk. Do you want today that create new CPG excluding the disks wanted to move and then migrate volumes to new CPG using dynamic optimization feature.

Yes. From your previous posts, it reads like you still want to keep the virtual volumes that are on it. So create a new CPG that excludes the disks you want to move, then use DO to tune them to just the drives you are keeping.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo