108789 Solutions
New Discussion

EVA to 3PAR Online Import zoning considerations - EVA ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
ManuelRC
Advisor

EVA to 3PAR Online Import zoning considerations - EVA ports

Hi, we are planning a EVA to 3PAR Online Import, and I'm not sure about correct zoning.

In the "HP EVA to 3PAR StoreServ Online Import Migration Guide" there is a figure about zoning between EVA and 3PAR ports.

I see that 2 ports from the 3PAR must be set to Peer, so I suppose that these ports cannot be used by hosts, and must not be zoned to hosts. ¿Correct?

What I'm not sure is about the 2 EVA ports to be used. ¿Can we use 2 ports that are accessed by hosts?

In the Migration Guide, looking to Figure 1 "Data migration zoning" it seems that these 2 host ports cannot be zoned to the host, but it's not explicitly told anywhere in the document.

It says that we must use free ports on the 3PAR, but it says nothing about the EVA ports.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA to 3PAR Online Import zoning considerations - EVA ports

Hi

you can use any EVA ports it not a problem if they are used by hosts

also when you change a 3PAR port to peer its WWN changes so hosts zoned

with this port will not be connected to it

Regards

ManuelRC
Advisor

Thanks a lot.

We will need to unzone some ESX host ports, because the HP engineer that installed the 3PAR marked all the 3PAR ports as hosts, and all the ESX hosts were zoned to the 4 ports of the 3PAR, but I suppose this should be OK if ESX multipath is OK.

Another question. Is there a way to estimate the migration time? Maybe based on EVA luns size?

Thanks.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

As I said you don't have to unzone 3par host ports as changing the 3par ports role from host to peer will change it's WWN and you will lose these ports from the host side. You can change the port back to host after you have finished migration.The migration speed is unperdictable it can be 1TB for hour or much less depending on the load host trafic is causing. Anyway we don't have any influance on it and it runs in the background.

Regards

How to assign points on this new forum? Click the Kudos Star!