3733 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 3PAR Remote Copy (((Help)))

meekrob
Super Advisor

HP 3PAR Remote Copy (((Help)))

Hi All,

excuse my question as im not too much into storage but i need your point of view regarding the following plz:  our management needs to do remote copy asynchronous between 2 distant sites which both have 3par 7400 systems. we have purchased the remote copy licenses but here in order to implement i just need to know the following: lets say we have 2 FCIP switches or more precisely 2 MPX200 routers at both sites. each 3par controllers' pair is connected to SAN Switches at both sites. How to cable / implement the MPX thing ? ive been searching for some documentation since without success. If can anyone shares his expertise on this it would be great plz

Thanks in advance 

5 REPLIES 5
Cali
Honored Contributor

You may find all your needed Information in the "HPE SAN Design Reference Guide" starting at Page 284.

HPE SAN Design Reference Guide

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

While we're waiting to hear back from someone that is familiar with the MPX200 routers: You are going to be using Asychronous Periodic Remote Copy. How much bandwidth do you need? While Remote Copy can be done over FC ports, it can also be done over IP.

Each 7000 controller has a 1Gb IP port for Remote Copy. You would need to set up either two or four links depending on whether the 7400 has two controllers or four, respectively. Four controllers at each site would give a 4Gb maximum bandwidth.

And if using RCIP, you just need an IP address, mask and gateway for each RCIP port. Note the RCIP subnet must be a different subnet from the system's management subnet.

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

meekrob
Super Advisor

@Cali thanks for the doc seems interesting and i started reading

@Sheldon Smith thanks for the info, i can see that there are 2 RCIP ports on both controllers however, need to know if using FC for replication in this case i do not need to use those RCIP ports right? plz correct me if im wrong. In addition, ur right as they will be using asynchronous periodic copy however, still need to know in terms of bandwidth if using FC and mpx200 routers can improve bandwidth usage instead of using RCIP ports.

Thanks in advance

meekrob
Super Advisor

here is the actual overall picture and we have the following at both Sites 1 and 2:

1) HP 3PAR StoreServ 7200 2-Node Storage 

2) 2 HP SN6000 FC Switches  

3) C7000 blade chassis with brocade 4/24 SAN Switches (connected to the SN6000)

Now for enabling 3PAR remote copy (asynchronous periodic) between both sites what do we still need to purchase? do we need mpx200 routers? how the cabling diagram will be done (in details) as in the HPE design guide no details

Thanks in advance

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Hi,
I was just suggesting the possibility of using the IP ports to simplify the setup (that is, without needing MPX routers).

With the 7200s, you could have an FC port from each of a node-pair connected to a similarly matching pair of FC ports on the other.

Now: Site 1 has a 7200, servers and a pair of SN6000 switches. So does Site 2.

In a FC fabric, each switch has a unique identifier; the switch domain ID. In a FC fabric, each switch also has a collection of zones, zone configurations, and perhaps aliases.
If two switches have the same switch domain ID, they will not talk to each other over an ISL (inter switch link). If two switches have a differing connection of zones, zone configurations, and perhaps aliases, they will not talk to each other over an ISL. In either case, you would need the MPX router.

It sounds like you would optimally have:
7200 node 0 FC port -- MPX200 --IP-- MPX200 -- 7200 node 0 FC port
7200 node 1 FC port -- MPX200 --IP-- MPX200 -- 7200 node 1 FC port

See SAN Design Guide, Part IV SAN extension and bridging, ch. 19 SAN extension, figure 84 FCIP dual-link configuration.

Once you have the two FC "pipes" between the systems, you can proceed with setting up the Remote Copy targets.

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo