New Discussion

HP 3PAR vSphere 5.1 best practices

SOLVED
Go to solution
ross_cavanagh
Occasional Visitor

HP 3PAR vSphere 5.1 best practices

Hello all,

I noticed in an older PDF, that I should set the following on all ESXi 5.X hosts: PDF HERE

esxcli storage nmp satp rule add -s "VMW_SATP_DEFAULT_AA" -P "VMW_PSP_RR" -O "iops=1000" -c "tpgs_off" -V "3PARdata" -M "VV" -e "HP 3PAR Custom Rule”

However, in the latest documentation, this is no longer listed. PDF HERE

So, I was wondering if I still need to add this to all ESXi system? I'm on ESXi 5.1.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 3PAR vSphere 5.1 best practices

Hi,

With the CLI command you create a custom SATP rule so that all newly discovered volumes on the ESXi hosts would be automatically set to Round Robin instead of the default Fixed Path. This would avoid that you would go to all 3PAR volumes on all hosts to set the path policy to Round Robin...

So this is more an administrative advantage and not a performance fine tuning thing...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
ross_cavanagh
Occasional Visitor

cheers, thanks for the update!
ross_cavanagh
Occasional Visitor

Just a quick question, as in regards to performance. It's got the option -O (--psp-option) setting IOPs to 1000. Any advice on that figure at all? Using Emulex 10Gb FCoE to a HP c700 blade encloser, BL460c Gen8 blade.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Not really... Most of the companies I know leave it to the default 1000... Some changed it to 1 since some time ago HP suggested this in a EVA document...

Duncan Epping from Yellowbricks has written some time ago a good blog post on this too:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2010/03/30/whats-the-point-of-setting-iops1/

IMHO it depends of how many hosts are connected to how many ports on how many controllers and how many VMs are running on it... I don't expect myself too much difference, but in certain cases it can make a (slight) difference.

Of course you can ask yourself also further: what about 10? or 100? ... ;-)

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !