3PAR StoreServ Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware VSS, Hyper V hosts. Snapshot is disabled for this fully provisioned volume.

DPS_IT
Occasional Advisor

Hardware VSS, Hyper V hosts. Snapshot is disabled for this fully provisioned volume.

Hello i am trying to implement our backup solution (Veeam backup and replication v9) to use an off host proxy to backup VM's from our Hyper V hosts. On each host i have installed the cli tools and the 3par hardware vss tools although when i initaite a backup the job fails.

(off host proxy)

Task details: Failed to create snapshot HP 3PAR VSS Provider on Hyper-V Off-Host Backup Proxy (mode: Crash consistent) Details: Unknown status of async operation
The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.
--tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot.
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.

(Hyper V host server)

3PARVSS5054: ERROR: CLI: Snapshot is disabled for this fully provisioned volume. Please set the snapshot space association with setvv.

3PARVSS5081: ERROR: SnapshotSet {62cab660-fd5e-40e5-86c1-357cedf20188} creation failed due to Virtual Copy creation failure.

After re reading the 3par hardware vss documentation it does state 

"Snapshot space must be available on Virtual Volumes. To take snapshots on the base volume, the volume must have snapshot space allocated during the base volume creation. See the HP 3PAR InForm OS Command Line Interface Reference for instructions on creating a base volume with snapshot allocation, or assigning snapshot space after the base volume is created. "

I have read the document and have run from cli showvv -cpgalloc which states the UsrCPG and SnpCFG which the latter has nothing configured.

What is the best method of assigning space from cli or the 3par client? And what would be the correct process of doing so.

Thanks

1 REPLY
Sheldon Smith
Honored Contributor

Re: Hardware VSS, Hyper V hosts. Snapshot is disabled for this fully provisioned volume.

If I'm reading your question correctly, you do not have a copy CPG assigned. From the CLI,
setvv -snp_cpg <snp_cpg> <VV_name>
For example: setvv -snp_cpg MyCPG MyVolume

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!