HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1748246 Members
3436 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

How to change the LUN ID of the VV online(preferably) on the existing VVset in 3PAR

SOLVED
Go to solution
subh_only
HPE Pro

How to change the LUN ID of the VV online(preferably) on the existing VVset in 3PAR

• Different LUN ID showing for Replicated LUNs

Please find the screenshot of identifier and associated LUN ID from both DC.

Our ESXi team is encountering with below issue and they want the LUN ID on the both arrays to be same to rectify it as per the solution mentioned there.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2054897

Troubleshooting :

1. We logged into IMC and 3PAR CLI and found this is not a PP Metro Cluster Issue.
  2. PP Metro Cluster perspective from 3PAR side it is working fine as manually created VVset is exported and ESX hosts are able to see those LUNs.
  3. While exporting that VVset from ESX to individual VM as RDM, VMs are unable to see the LUN and not visible and got error : Incompatible device backing specified for device ‘0’
  4. While checking further, we found that LUN ID 59 on target has already been occupied by other VV due to which other LUN ID 81 has been assigned as ID 59 was not available.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

1 REPLY 1
Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to change the LUN ID of the VV online(preferably) on the existing VVset in 3PAR

They are right, the LUN ID should be the same for the Primary and Secondary (Mirror) Volumes and all ESX Hosts and only between the Volumes make it unique.

But it is the choice of the 3PAR Admin to choose the right LUN ID.

Somtimes I have customers they choose "Auto" by LUN ID assigment and this results in mixed LUN IDs.

So, what can you do now:

Create a Table with all Exported Volumes and the used LUN ID for both Storage.

Unpresent the secondary Volume (Mirror Side of the Volume) and represent it with the same ID as the primary.

Do it in the way, that you have no double assingment, avoid: Volume 1 = LUN ID 10 and Volume 2 = LUN ID 10

Because all Secondary Volumes are Standby in ESX you can do it online.

Rescan the hole Cluster at the end.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.