HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752588 Members
4783 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to disable port persistence in 3PAR StoreServ 8400?

Warrax
Visitor

How to disable port persistence in 3PAR StoreServ 8400?

from a reference and best practices guide for HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
"No more than 256 connections (128 if using Persistent Ports) are supported per front-end/host port"
I have at the moment is up to 128 connections per front-end port - and it has become a problem
How to DISABLE PORT PERSISTENCE in 3PAR StoreServ 8400, to increase the limit from 128 connections to 256?

3 REPLIES 3
yapkl
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to disable port persistence in 3PAR StoreServ 8400?

You could try this:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04204279

PortFailoverEnabled Enables or disables the automatic failover of target ports to their designated partner ports. If enabled, automatic failover is triggered when a node goes down. can be "yes" or "no". The default is "yes".

BUT..... you should try not to disable Persistent Ports. The benefits are there when you lose a port and the parner ports takes over the identity making it transparent to your hosts.

128 connections per front end port is a lot, how many hosts do you have connected to the 3PAR? What's your 3PAR config? How many FC ports are you using?

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
Warrax
Visitor

Hi,

I use NPIV(!) on hosts side

so 128 connections per front end port is NOT a lot for my environment (other storage vendors typically support ╤Е20 more...)

my 3PAR 8400 have 4 controllers and 8 FC-ports summary

and show 92 hosts objects (over 900 path summary), each host is represented by 2 or 4 FC-ports/NPIV (up to 8xWWN per host) and FC-zoned for all 4 controllers

when I try to boot (SAN boot) a new additional host (with 8xWWN) from 3PAR - host does not boot or MPIO on other host lost some path to the storage...

PortFailoverEnabled not need downtime, reboot controllers or some other disruptive operation? is 100% online?

yapkl
Trusted Contributor

It's best to log a support call to address these further questions.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.