HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1748134 Members
3465 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to disable port persistence in 3PAR StoreServ 8400?

Warrax
Visitor

How to disable port persistence in 3PAR StoreServ 8400?

from a reference and best practices guide for HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
"No more than 256 connections (128 if using Persistent Ports) are supported per front-end/host port"
I have at the moment is up to 128 connections per front-end port - and it has become a problem
How to DISABLE PORT PERSISTENCE in 3PAR StoreServ 8400, to increase the limit from 128 connections to 256?

3 REPLIES 3
yapkl
Trusted Contributor

You could try this:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04204279

PortFailoverEnabled Enables or disables the automatic failover of target ports to their designated partner ports. If enabled, automatic failover is triggered when a node goes down. can be "yes" or "no". The default is "yes".

BUT..... you should try not to disable Persistent Ports. The benefits are there when you lose a port and the parner ports takes over the identity making it transparent to your hosts.

128 connections per front end port is a lot, how many hosts do you have connected to the 3PAR? What's your 3PAR config? How many FC ports are you using?

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
Warrax
Visitor

Hi,

I use NPIV(!) on hosts side

so 128 connections per front end port is NOT a lot for my environment (other storage vendors typically support х20 more...)

my 3PAR 8400 have 4 controllers and 8 FC-ports summary

and show 92 hosts objects (over 900 path summary), each host is represented by 2 or 4 FC-ports/NPIV (up to 8xWWN per host) and FC-zoned for all 4 controllers

when I try to boot (SAN boot) a new additional host (with 8xWWN) from 3PAR - host does not boot or MPIO on other host lost some path to the storage...

PortFailoverEnabled not need downtime, reboot controllers or some other disruptive operation? is 100% online?

yapkl
Trusted Contributor

It's best to log a support call to address these further questions.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.