HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1748051 Members
5083 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is it possible/supported to connect more than 1 vCenter to 3PAR VASA?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Williams_6
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible/supported to connect more than 1 vCenter to 3PAR VASA?

Is it possible/supported to connect more than 1 vCenter to 3PAR VASA?

I have a 7400, and implemented VVOL a while back when upgradin to vShpere 6.0. I have 1 mission critical virtual server that resides on the VVOL, all my other VM's are on VMFS...

I am upgrading to vSphere 6.5 and doin this by implementing a new vCenter 6.5, then moving across the hosts from the 6.0 vCenter..

As this is production and we have no 3PAR test environment I need to know if I can connect the new 6,5 vCenter to the VASA at the same time as our 6.0 vCenter? I have moved across a couple of hosts that only run virtual servers on VMFS, and they are no longer able to connect to the VVOL, which I guess is because the 6.5 vCenter hasn't registered etc..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Gary.

1 REPLY 1
N_JK
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Is it possible/supported to connect more than 1 vCenter to 3PAR VASA?

Hi Gary,

Please find the below link for "HPE 3PAR VMware ESX/ESXi Implementation Guide"

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03290624

Refer Page 116-117,

Beginning with HPE 3PAR OS 3.2.2
Support for multiple vCenter servers registering to the same HPE 3PAR VASA Provider through the server certificate management mode.

Page 119,

Server-managed certificates
When you connect two or more vCenter servers to the HPE 3PAR VASA Provider, both cannot manage the certificate at the same time. In this situation, the HPE 3PAR VASA Provider must be set to server-managed certificate mode.

When SSL certificates are server-managed, the storage administrator on the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage can associate multiple certificates with the HPE 3PAR VASA Provider service to be used for simultaneous connections to different vSphere environments.

WARNING:

Changing the certificate management mode will disrupt any active VASA connections. The HPE 3PAR VASA Provider must be reregistered with any vCenters that are currently registered to this HPE 3PAR VASA Provider. Do not change certificate management modes without coordinating with the vSphere administrator.

NOTE:

In HPE 3PAR OS 3.2.2 and later, SSL certificates for VASA communications are server-managed by default. If the HPE 3PAR VASA Provider service was enabled in an earlier version of the HPE 3PAR OS, and the HPE 3PAR OS is updated to HPE 3PAR OS 3.2.2 or later, the SSL certificate management mode will be set for certificate management on the client (the vSphere host) unless the mode is changed to server-managed. Changing the SSL certificate management mode will disrupt any active VASA connections. If the certificate management mode is changed, the HPE 3PAR VASA Provider must be reregistered for any VMware vSphere environments in which the HPE 3PAR VASA Provider is registered to restore connectivity.

With this we could understand that multiple Vcenters can be registered with "Server Managed Certificate" option, and care must be taken when changing the certificate mode.

You may go through the Implementation guide for detailed information.

Thanks and Regards,

N_JK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo