1752574 Members
4927 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Move disks inside 3PAR 7400

Rajs
Frequent Advisor

Move disks inside 3PAR 7400

How can I move disk from one slot in 3par to another slot? I need to do this since there are few disks not installed as pairs inside cage. So I need to remove disk from one slot and install it into different cage to create pair. Already there is data on these disks.

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You might be able to use movepd to move the chunklets off the PD, if you have enough spare space.

Then use "controlpd spindown", then move the drive to the new slot.

If "showpd -i" shows the original PD in the new slot, you're done.

The move_back_chunklet scheduled task will move them back.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

try this procedure

MovePD

1) setpd ldalloc off <DiskID> --                                                          To stop data to drive - Repeat for all PDs

2) showpd -s                                                                                        Make sure disks are in Degraded state

3) servicemag start -log -nodisks <CageID> <Magazine>                 Take drives Offline

4) servicemag status -d                                                                       Wait untill servicemag returns "Succeeded"

5) Move PD from old C:M:D to new C:M:D                                          Move the PD from old position to new position

6) servicemag resume <NewCageID> <NewMagazine>                         Resume service on PDs

7) servicemag status -d                                                                       Wait untill servicemag clears

8) servicemag clearstatus <OldCageID> <OldMagazin>                         Clear the Status of the servicemag operation

9) servicemag unmark <OldCageID> <OldMagazin>               Unmark the Posision of the old PD after the servicemag operation

10) Redo Steps 3-9 for all PDs

11) setpd ldalloc on <DiskID>                                                   Resume data to drive (after all PDs are online) - Repeat for all PDs

12 )tunesys -chunkpct 1                                                        Tune System

Regards

Rajs
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dennis, Thanks for the reply.

What are the options that I need to use with movepd?

Do I have to use removespare after the movepd command?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>What are the options that I need to use with movepd?

Probably just -nowait.  -devtype if not enough spare space.

>Do I have to use removespare after the movepd command?

I don't think so, that's only needed for dismisspd.