108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multipath Unknown in 3PAR Management Console 4.7.3.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
vmuniverse
Advisor

Multipath Unknown in 3PAR Management Console 4.7.3.2

When I look in my 3PAR management console, I notice that by Provisioning --> Virtual Volume Sets --> Tab VLUNs the Multipath = Unknown, Failed Path Policy = Unknown

Mulitpath IO is configured on our servers. When I execute the commandon our servers: mpclaim -e I see the following:

Target H/W identifier: 3PARdataVV, Bus Type: Fibre, MPIO-ed: yes, ALUA Support: Implicit Only

The Hosts connected to the 3PAR are Persona 15 - WindowsServer

Is this normal behaviour ion the 3PAR management console?

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

It's been a long time since I last looked at the 3PAR Management Console. If you have any of the StoreServ models, you really need to get moving forward with the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Management Console. At this writing, v3.1.0.

Regardless, as I recall those are placeholder fields waiting for optional data from the hosts. This would be sent by HPE Host Explorer. At this writing, v3.2. For most OSes connected to the 3PAR including Windows, there is a small agent that is installed on the host. It reports back to the system once or twice a day. For VMware ESX, there is a Java application that runs as a server on a Windows system. It connects to one or more VMware vCenters and again, reports back to the system once or twice a day. 

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

vmuniverse
Advisor

Thank you for the reply.

Does it need to install a little piece of software on our OS (DSM MPIO software from 3PAR)

When I look at the MPIO, I see that it uses as HardwareID: 3PARdataVV

Currently I'm using 3PAR StorServ 3.10 and 3PAR management Console together. So I only should use the StoreServ as the main management console?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> This would be sent by HPE Host Explorer.

The info returned by Host Explorer is visible with these commands:

showhost -agent

showvlun -pathsum

showvlun -hostsum

>So I only should use the StoreServ as the main management console?

Yes, SSMC.  And CLI if you want to do scripting.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

The 3PAR MPIO DSM is only needed for Windows 2003. For 2008 and later, use Windows' native multipathing.
You can use both 3PAR Management Console 4.7.3 and SSMC 3.1.0. Be aware that versions 3.3.1 and later of the 3PAR OS no longer support the older 3PAR Management Console.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

vmuniverse
Advisor

Thank you! I was using the SSMC, but that's gone now