Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious 3PAR volume 512 B on vmware

Highlighted
T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

Mysterious 3PAR volume 512 B on vmware

In vmware I see a 512 B volume with an odd identifier and LUN. I cant figure out where it is coming from. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

Re: Mysterious 3PAR volume 512 B on vmware

Its related to vvols

"The PE will be seen as an administrative LUN with LUN ID 256 with a size of 512 bytes. That’s it."

http://www.bitcon.be/vmware-vsphere-6-0-vvols-available-on-hp-3par/

I dont remember turning that on.

Highlighted
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Here's a demo I did showing vVols with 3PAR.  And yes, I wouldn't expect to see the LUN 256 unless you set up vVols.  That said, the VASA provider is on the 3PAR controller. Anyone else have insight here? 

Highlighted
yapkl
Trusted Contributor

See page 10 of this doc https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-6907ENW.pdf

Check this CLI on ESX -> esxcli storage core device list -–pe-only 

Also run showvasa to see if that's running. If yes, that's probably why you're seeing the PE.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
Highlighted

And take a look at the HPE 3PAR VMware ESX/ESXi Implementation Guide:

"Beginning with 3PAR OS 3.2.1, an in-band device known as a PE LUN (Protocol Endpoint LUN) is exposed to all hosts connected using VMware Persona 11. ... Depending on the host HBA/CNA driver in use, the PE LUN might appear as a LUN number 256 in the host device list."

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo