5640 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Physical or Virtual SP?

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Physical or Virtual SP?

Hi,

If i have a new HP 3PAR StoreServ 7400 2-N Storage Base, how do i know wether it came with a physical service processor or a virtual service processor has to be used?

Thanks.

Yaboto 

12 REPLIES 12
Shiju Samuel Thomas
Frequent Advisor

Re: Physical or Virtual SP?

Look at the Bill of Materials.

If you do not find the Physical SP listed there, you would want to install the VSP on a ESX Host and Proceed with the Installation. 

I am an HP employee
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks a lot!

I did not see any physical SP in the BOM, neither is there any provision for ESX host.

Please what would be the way forward, any alternative?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Please what would be the way forward, any alternative?

If you don't have a SP, you'll need to provide the host to install the VSP.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Go to the HP QuickSpecs, http://hp.com/go/quickspecs, search for product "3par storeserv 7000". Under there you will find requirements to run a virtual Service Processor:

"If you did not order a physical Service Processor, you will need to provide a server running VMware vSphere ESXi 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5.
It needs 256 GB free disk space (minimum for the VSP Virtual Machine)
NOTE: VSP storage must not reside on the array it is managing."

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>NOTE: VSP storage must not reside on the array it is managing."

It seems it forgot to mention "chicken and egg" as reason why.  ;-)

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks very much!

I realized that there is a Proliant BL460c in the BOM. The production is purely run on HP UNIX and for that purpose a BL890c i4 with 4 nPars with C7000 enclosure was ordered.  I begin to suspect that the only windows/Proliant server BL460c part of the BOM may be the Physical Service Processor.

Please how can i identify or confirm that the only Proliant server BL460c part of the BOM is the physical SP?

Since Data Protector is also part of the deal, Is it possible to install DP Manager or any other software to run on the SP? Is it recommended?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

The BoM should have a line with a description substantially similar to "HP 3PAR 7000 Service Processor".

If you have a physical Service Processor, you would not have root access. It is an appliance, not a server: Nothing can be installed on it.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIK the physical SP is a Proliant DL320e by default.

Maybe your proliant blade is intended as a backup server (someone has ordered it for a special reason I guess ...).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks very much to you all for your contributions.

I understand now that:

Since there is nothing like "HP 3PAR 7000 Service Processor" in the BOM, that means there is no physical service processor, then we need Virtual Service Processor.

The challenge now is:

- The customer does not have any VMWARE environment for us to create the Virtual SP machine

- I checked the media that came with the 3PAR and i have not found any Microsoft Hypervisor based file (only OVF and vmdk for vmware based VM is available on the media)

Please advice on the way forward.

Best regards,

Yaboto