108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question: OracleBackup using Business Copy and Netbackup

SOLVED
Go to solution
michael kaishar
Advisor

Question: OracleBackup using Business Copy and Netbackup

Hi, I would like to learn how to backup oracle using our EVA3000 w/ businesscopy 2.2, and netbackup6.

netbackup master server = windows 2003
netbackup media server = hpux 11.11

We currently have an EVA3000 in a SAN environment I want to use the zero downtime oracle hot backup procedures. I did find a document referencing it but I wanted to see if anyone else is doing this in their environment.

Basically the steps would be to use business copy to put oracle in hotbackup mode snap, then mount it on the backup server then use netbackup to back it up. Has anyone done this and if so do you have scripts availabe or how would I go about it. Thanks in advance I really appreciate it if anyone can help me.
8 REPLIES 8
gstonian
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Basic steps would be to script the Business copy part using sssu and scheduling the task.

I.e.

Prepare Oracle DB for snap

run SSSU
SSSU "FILE BCOPY.txt"

BCOPY.txt
----------------
select manager u=administrator p=

select system

ADD SNAPSHOT snapshot1 VDISK="\Virtual Disks\\ \ACTIVE" ALLOCATION_POLICY=DEMAND

ADD LUN 1 VDISK="\Virtual Disks\\snapshot1 " HOST=Business copy host

Once Disk Presented, run netbackup job.

We will be implementing something very similar on our unix environment soon.
avik
Valued Contributor

just to add what gstonian said, this can be integrated to Netbackup. I would create a script that will

a). put the database in backup mode
b). take the snapshot of the lun
c). and present the lun to the backup server ( I assume lun presentation using sssu is possible).

This script can be called from veritas using bpstart_notify.

I have done this intergration for one of my customers but it was a Hitachi SAN.
avik
Valued Contributor

the database should be taken out of the backup mode after the snapshot.

a). put the database in backup mode
b). take the snapshot of the lun
c). take the database out of backup mode.
d). and present the lun to the backup server ( I assume lun presentation using sssu is possible).

michael kaishar
Advisor

Hello

Thanks for all that responded. Here's what we have and here's what we want to do.

We have oracle 10g running on eva3000 on HPUX-System.A and we would like to use netbackup to back it up. We also have HPUX-MediaServer.B and we would like to mount onto it after snapping the eva3000. We used business copy 2.2 but we have 12 filesystems to snap and mount and it takes way too long.

The steps we followed using business copy are:
1. put db in hot backup mode
2. snap all
3. take db out of hot backup mode
4. mount on HPUX-MediaServer.B
5. back it up using netbackup

We would like to have this process finish at a faster pace the snapping that is.

I read that SSSU can do this much faster than business copy. I went through the guide for SSSU but it doesn't show much examples. Any other location I can get as far as examples of scripts and so on. Again I want to thank everyone for their continued support.

Michael Kaishar
avik
Valued Contributor

Mischael, SSSU is a commandline utility to manager your EVA, its not another product.

also see the below discussion,

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1051899

michael kaishar
Advisor

Is there a way to have a generic set up where I would not have to do ioscan in order to try and mount this on my back up server? In other words once I present the snapshot to the backup server since I have about 13 files systems to snap...what would be the easiest way to create luns on my backup server without hard coding luns??
michael kaishar
Advisor

Here's what we've worked out. Let me know if this is feasible and do you see any problems with it. We have set up a UX backup policy on our backup server. The policy has two schedules one for full backup and one for user initiated backup. The policy has bpstart and bpend scripts associated with it. The bpstart_notify.oraSTMTSdb script executes the business copy job. The business copy job would go through and put the oracle db in hot backup mode, snap the volumes, then takes out the oracle db out of hot backup mode, then it will mount the snapped volumes onto our backup server. Once mounted the business copy job launches a command line bpbackup to initate a user defined backup job calling the same backup policy oraSTMTSdb on the netbackup server.

Once the oraSTMTSdb netbackup policy finishes the backup it has a bpend_notify.oraSTMTSdb post exec script and this runs an UNDO on the business copy which will remove the snapshots and unmounts.

http://www.kaishar.net/images/nbuOracleBC.gif

Thanks
Michael Kaishar
devameenakshi
Occasional Visitor

can any one provide me the same ingration document for 3 PAR for snapshot backup.

master server: Linux 2.6

media server : Linux 2.6

client              : Linux 2.6

1.  stop the DB

2.  create snapshot

3.  mount the snapshot on media server

4.  start the backup.

We have script which we are running manually and run the backup.

is it possible to integrate the same using bpstart and bpend notify script and how to create the backup policy to tirgger the scripts.

please provide some process document on the same.