1751726 Members
5463 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Removed healthy drive from 3PAR

ItGuy3
Frequent Visitor

Removed Healthy Drive from 3par

Quick question for everyone. So i had 3 failed physical drives that i was replacing. I believe one of the drives was an accidental healthy drive. It now looks the drive I replaced is obviously being read as degraded because it is new, and i didn't reallocate the data that was on the healthy drive. And coincidentally another drive is now showing as degraded.

My question is can i just put the healthy drive I took out back in the same slot with no reprecussions or will it cause another issue?

This is on a 3par 8200

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Were you using servicemag to replace disks?

If you did, then you can only use that health disk to replace another bad one.

ItGuy3
Frequent Visitor

So I accidentally removed a good hard drive. And I put it back in to the same slot but it is now giving me an error.
This is my first replacement.

So what commands should I be running if i accidentally removed the good hard drive and re inserted it? Should I be running servicemag resume <cage , magazine number>?

Then if I replace a failed drive should i be running servicemag start with the pdid or should these commands be flip flopped?

And thank you for getting back to me I appreciate it.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> I accidentally removed a good hard drive. And I put it back in to the same slot but it is now giving me an error.

How did you remove it?  Just pull it?  No other disk was put there before you put it back?

The proper way to replace drives is to use servicemag.  In some cases the system already will do the "servicemag start" and all you have to do is replace the drive and use "servicemag resume".

What does this show "showpd -s"?

ItGuy3
Frequent Visitor

So I did put another disk in there, i had accidentally pulled the hard drive so when i realized it i had put the old one back hoping it would just pick up from where it left off.

I tried to run servicemag resume on the cage and drive but it kept repeating and failing.

When I run showpd -s it saying degraded missing and then uknow under the SEDstate

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> when i realized it i had put the old one back hoping it would just pick up from where it left off.

Did you do a "servicemag resume" with the new drive?  Or put the new drive in, take it out, put old one in and then resume?

What was the "servicemag start" command?