HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1754014 Members
7439 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSMC 3.4 - Capacity reporting / Thin Virtual Volume Capacity reporting?!

TPG-GVA
Occasional Advisor

SSMC 3.4 - Capacity reporting / Thin Virtual Volume Capacity reporting?!

Hi All,

Since I am new to HPE 3PAR / SSMC 3.4, I have a stupid question here.

Where should I look for (either CLI or SSMC) to get information such as

• Thin VV capacity provisioned and/or used
  • Free space remaining on a 3PAR

Is it even possible to get such information? There are many counters but none of them seems to give me the proper information.

For instance, let’s say I create 2 thin VV, 10TB each. I expect to see, somewhere, that I have 20TB used and/or provisioned. Where can I see such information?

I understand that when creating a thin VV, it won’t appear in System\Capacity\Allocated (this counter increments only when creating Thick VV). Ok.

Now, since we’ll be creating only Thin VV and if I want to avoid over provisioning, what counter should I look for? (ie, is there any other way than manually adding up the capacity of each thin VV I’ll create … )

4 REPLIES 4

I would suggest try below command to check all space usage for the entire system,

showsys -space

You try below command to check and understand space at the individual VV level,

showvv -s

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Why would you want to avoid over provisioning? That's the whole point of having Thin VVs.

DBA Don comes wanting a new (set of) volumes for a new database. Don wants to be able to hold 50 TB. What Don does not say is 50 TB is the final size in four years when the database is at its planned maximum. Right now, what Don really needs is 8 TB. You make the volumes with a Virtual Capacity of 50 TB and Don goes away happy. Once he puts the data in there, it will only allocate 8 TB worth of storage. As data is added over time, the volumes will expand.
The thing is you don't need the extra 42 TB today. Which means you don't need to buy the extra 42 TB today. You will need to buy it sometime, just not now.

You will need to keep an eye on the system's Free capacity.
SSMC can create a report on free capacity at which you can look any time you want, or even have SSMC automatically generate and email the report to you.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

TPG-GVA
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Sheldon Smith for your answer.

I get what thin provisioning is and that is precisely why I am asking how to properly monitor these 3PAR arrays.

You mentioned reports for free capacity, which ones are you exactly talking about? No report refers to Free Capacity ?!

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Look at the System Capacity report, specifically how much is Free.

If you want to schedule the report, you may need to make a duplicate report. Then you can have it generate the graph in PDF format and email it to you. See the SSMC help and the SSMC User Guide further instructions.

In addition, the system will issue Raw Space alerts (by default) at the four system standard alert levels: 50%, 75%, 85%, 95%.
If the Service Processor has been set up to send local email, it can notify you as the system reaches each event level (info, minor, major and critical respectively). You can set a specific overriding thershold with the "setsys rawspacealertXX nnn" command. See the command line help or the Command Line Interface Reference for more information on the setsys command. Also the Service Processor user guide for information on configuring local notification.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo