1751924 Members
4829 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSMC generating authentication failures

csbuxton
Occasional Advisor

SSMC generating authentication failures

We are seeing authentication failures on all of our arrays (30+).  I ran the CLI commands to find the source and it is always our SSMC server.  This is annoying because the alerts are a "degraded" level alert so we constantly have our arrays in a degraded state and we have missed other alerts because of this.  In our configuration I have created a local user on the array with the browse role.  This user is then what I use to connect the array to SSMC.  Has anybody else seen this type of issue and how did you solve it?

11 REPLIES 11
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

If you connect to a StoreServ with a set of credentials (username and password) and then change those credentials, how do you expect SSMC to gather information from the StoreServ?
Looking through the SSMC Administrator's Guide, setting up a local user with only browse role, as you did, is suggested.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

csbuxton
Occasional Advisor

I don't change those credentials, let me be more clear:

We create a user on the array named SSMC with the browse role.  In the administrator console of SSMC (3.0 - btw), we add the array and use the SSMC user to establish the initial connection.  Our arrays are configured for ldap authenticaion, so when we log into SSMC using domain credentials, that account is then used on the array to determine my rights to change things.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

That all sounds correct. Not sure why there would be authentication failures. Suggest you open a ticket with HPE StoreServ Support.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What do the exact errors look like?

csbuxton
Occasional Advisor

2017-03-03 01:09:11 CST        1 Informational   Authentication failure sw_cli     { 10.1.1.125 15179} {Authentication failure, reason: Invalid user (ssmc) or password}                                  {}
2017-03-03 01:10:14 CST        1 Informational   Authentication failure sw_cli     { 10.1.1.125 15220} {Authentication failure, reason: Invalid user (ssmc) or password}                                  {}
2017-03-03 12:38:41 CST        1 Informational   Authentication failure sw_cli     { 10.1.1.125 1848} {Authentication failure, reason: Invalid user (ssmc) or password} {}
2017-03-03 12:39:44 CST        1 Informational   Authentication failure sw_cli     { 10.1.1.125 1888} {Authentication failure, reason: Invalid user (ssmc) or password} {}

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> {Authentication failure, reason: Invalid user (ssmc) or password}

This says either the user doesn't exist or the password is invalid.

What does showuser show?  And if not a local user, how have you set up LDAP on the array?

ericbr007
Occasional Visitor

We are having the same issue with several Arrays alerting on the trigger "Authentication Failures". I believe I identified the issue but not sure, if it is the actual culprit. We have two (2) SSMC management consoles running on a primary/secondary server in different locations. We have a password policy change that requires us to change the 3paradm account once we have validated the system before entering it into PROD. We setup ldap before confirming the move into PROD but the problem I believe is due to the 3paradm account pw change. When the 3paradm account password is changed, the array disconnects from the SSMC and therefore forcing us to re-register the Array using the new 3paradm credentials. I’ve noticed that our team including I has been re-registering the Arrays on only one (1) system and not the other. I’m guessing that once we match up all accounts on both systems that this will hopefully resolve our problem or at least minimize the amount of alerts we get, hope this helps and if anyone has other solutions or ideas on this topic please share, I might need it, thanks again

Cheers.

csbuxton
Occasional Advisor

I ended up opening a ticket on this one with support and they were able to reproduce the issue in the lab.  The solution is that the user you are connecting from SSMC with - 3paradm, or some other user with browse-only role, must have the same password on ALL arrays connected to SSMC.  Our corporate standard generates a random password for every user on every array, so it would cause this issue.  I have aligned my SSMC users and that has fixed the issue.

Boobal

We are recieveing too much alerts mentioneing ""84 authentication failures in 120 sec" what does it refers too ? and we wont change our password once the default password is changed as per our standard. We are facing this issue before we migrated to SMMC as well and currently too, Please help us to resolve this issue.