Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe amount of free System Space (CPG)

Andrew153
Occasional Contributor

Safe amount of free System Space (CPG)

Hi Everyone,

i would ask, what is the safe amount of Estimaded Free System Space for CPG ? 

For example if i have FC drive - 800GB, and Estimaded Free System Space 600GB, what if disk fail, do 3par will be able to restore chunklets from failed disk if I've got only 600GB Estimted Free System Space ? Is it safe ?

Thank in advance for information.

3 REPLIES
Sheldon Smith
Honored Contributor

Re: Safe amount of free System Space (CPG)

The 3PAR will be able to restore chunklets.

Spare Chunklets have already been set aside. Estimated Free really is estimated free. :)
As I recall (not having a system in front of me), "showsys -space" shows the breakdown of allocated and free space. Spare chunklets are listed under allocated.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
Andrew153
Occasional Contributor

Thank Sheldon for reply.

I 'm asking becaouse i have to grow vv +200GB on CPG which is 97% alocated (15GBfree).  But i have got as i mentioned 600GB Estimated Free System Space.

Can I grow vv safety, does CPG expand automaticaly on Estimated Free System Space ? Now it has only 15GB free.

Thank for reply.

Sheldon Smith
Honored Contributor

Ah yes. That's an engineer value, not a storage admin value - it's confusing for a lot of new storage admins.

The CPG currently has X allocated to it. It has growth allocation values defined to automatically expand the space as needed.

As a virtual volume grows, the CPG directs the system on how to allocate free space to grow the underlying logical disks. The CPG will auto-grow (several times) to provide that 200GB.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------