108763 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Shelfupgrade - 3PAR 7400 - 3.2.1 MU3

Christoph_G
Collector

Shelfupgrade - 3PAR 7400 - 3.2.1 MU3

Hi Guys,I hope you have an idea.

We have a 3PAR 7400 (2Node) System and they have the following configuration:

2 Controller Nodes 5 Drive Enclosures (3SFF+2LFF)

We would like to extend this to 2 Controller Nodes 5 Drive Enclosures (4SFF+2LFF)

We already look in the "HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 Series StorageCabling Configuration Guide C:Two Node System with M6710/M6720 Enclosures" .

Is it true that I'm change the cabling per node? I will first change cabling from node0 and when I'm finish with node0, I will changing the cabling from node1? is this correct?

Is is possible to check the correct and redundant cabling before we start with this upgrade? do you know the command? checkhealth?

How can we do checks, after the first recabling on node0?

Regards ad thx for the help:)

5 REPLIES 5
jstone415
Advisor

Hey so this is where the cabling guides can add confusion as they only show you how to cable when you have all needed shelves at time of install.

As you probably already saw, when you look at the 4xsff /2x lff compared to where you are now, it shows the 4th SFF shelve inline with the rest, before the LFF shelves :)

So SFF and LFF and be out of order, which then makes your situation very simple. There is no need to uncable, move and recable, as that is dangerous and tricky ( can be done, but I would not recommend it )

Just reference the 3x SFF/ 3x LFF diagrame and treat your new SFF shelf like the 3x LFF in the diagram.

From that all you need to do is add 2x new cables, ( no moving of current ) and you are done.

Now that being said here is answers to your other queries 
1. Do an initial checkhealth -detail to make sure all is Kosher.

2. rack and cable new SFF shelf in position described above, do the power cables last.

3. Once all is good, power on the new SFF shelf. wait a few minutes or more for it to spin up and check in.

4. do a showcage to confirm enclosure is in system.

5. do a showport to make sure cabling is good and ports are all connected

6.  do a showpd to verify new drives show up that are in that shelf

7. finish up with a checkhealt -detail again to make sure all is good.

That is how I usually do it. 

Only gotcha noticing your FW version is if new enclosure and drives are at a FW level above what you have. You will want to ask HPE what version they shipped at. If newer, you will need to upgrade your array first or will not be accepted into system.

Have had that issue before with add ons and replacement parts LOL

Hope that helps.

N_JK
HPE Pro

Hi Christoph_G,

I agree with most points of " jstone415" except the point "There is no need to uncable, move and recable" as the cabling between node0 and node1 will be reversed, 

Hence you have to remove the existing cable from node1 to the first cage and make this new cage as the first cage in that loop. For node0 it will be just extending the existing cable

Thanks and Regards,

N_JK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jstone415
Advisor

N_JK, Great Catch. ( also confirm I am not wrong here also :) )

yes sorry about that. I have picture below, as words get confusing :)

Orange Circles- is the existing cable from Node1 that needs to move to new SFF enclosure.

Green and Red Circles are the new cables that need to be added.

3par1.JPG

N_JK
HPE Pro

Hi Jstone415,

Thanks for the diagram. It makes things easy to understand :)

Regards,

N_JK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jstone415
Advisor

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Bad advice is no good! LOL