3500 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

There are overlaps ...

Marc0
Advisor

There are overlaps ...

Hello

On one of our 3PARs (7400) , the allocated space is marked and underneath this message can be seen.

What is this and how can i fix this, do i even have to fix this ?

overlaps.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: There are overlaps ...

"NOTE: In the normal situation, the capacity displays show you the space that is consumed by provisioning (for example, CPGs, Volumes, and underlying LDs) and the space that is reserved by the system for spares.

When chunklets or physical disks fail, the data is moved onto the spares. The total amount of space consumed by provisioning does not change, nor does the total amount of spares in the system. However, there is an overlap in the numbers because the used spares are counted in the total number of spares (total spares = unused + used spares) AND in the provisioning (because parts of the LDs/CPGs/Volumes) are now using those spares. In this case, an asterisk (*) appears to indicate that the numbers will not add up due to this shared space."

-- HP 3PAR Management Console User's Guide

Look at the Physical Disks table, check for failed chunklets and/or failed disks.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Marc0
Advisor

Re: There are overlaps ...

There were no failed Chunklets or disks whatsoever but, 3PAR fixed itself, asterisk and message are gone, all good for now.