New Discussion юеВ

Thick vs Thin 3PAR 7450c and vSphere 5.1 Build 2323236

SOLVED
Go to solution
upiroserog
Collector

Thick vs Thin 3PAR 7450c and vSphere 5.1 Build 2323236

Hello,

I know this is tricky talk about thin and thick storage within vSphere.
Through my research I have done. The 3PAR storage creates its volumes as Thin to manage space. Which makes sense.

So, now if i create a VM within VMware with thick drives, do i gain something ? I should gain performance, right ?
What about thin ?
Or, the fact that 3PAR creates its volumes as thin, having a VM with thick vmdk's will not make any difference ?

Thanks for your help,

3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Thick vs Thin 3PAR 7450c and vSphere 5.1 Build 2323236

Take a look at the Technical paper HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage and VMware vSphere 5 best practices

Search Google for 4AA4-3286ENW

There's a good section on "HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning vs. vSphere Thin Provisioning".

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

upiroserog
Collector

Sweet, so on Page 29..

"....utilizing host-side thin provisioning reduces the underlying volume performance while at the same time incurring additional ESXi host overhead."

I am assuming host-side is the VMware side, right ?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Yes. Host-side is VMware side.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo