1748157 Members
3903 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Tuning in HPE 3PAR Web Services API 1.6.4

SandipSubedi
Occasional Collector

Tuning in HPE 3PAR Web Services API 1.6.4

I am looking at HPE 3PAR Web Services API 1.6.4 for compression and decompression of Virtual Voulme(VV) on ThreePar arrays.

I was able to find documentation for Tuning(compression). But I can't find anything for de-compression. Is that not even a thing?

3 REPLIES 3
veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Re: Tuning in HPE 3PAR Web Services API 1.6.4

Hello SandipSubedi,

I'm afraid there is nothing like  'decompression'. Once a volume compressed, you cannot decompress it. The volume should be tuned out from deco (deduped and compressed).

You can enable compression and disable the same. (or even trun off the compression).  So if the compression is not active it is a voume without compression. 

Hope this answered.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
sandip_subedi
Visitor

@veeyarvi  I am confused with few things here:

The volume should be tuned out from deco (deduped and compressed).

What do you actually mean by this?

> So if the compression is not active it is a voume without compression. 
Does it mean that if something is already compressed, and if I turn the compression off, it will be automatically decompressed(uncompressed) ?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Compression (and deduplication) are not features that can be turned on or off for a volume. There is no "setvv" command option to toggle them: They are fundamental characteristics applied when the volume is created. To turn compression off requires tuning the volume to a new (TPVV) volume. That is, having the "tunevv" command make a new TPVV volume and "DO"ing the data from the compressed volume to the new uncompressed volume. The original compressed volume and any snapshots are then deleted by default.
See the "tunevv" command in the 3PAR CLI Reference manual.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo