New Discussion

Re: Upgrade SMMC & IMC server from Windows 2008 to Windows 2016

SOLVED
Go to solution
tsamuel0905
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade SMMC & IMC server from Windows 2008 to Windows 2016

Hello all,

I have SMMC & IMC installed on windows 2008 server, and planning to upgrade OS to Windows 2016. I am not able to confirm these tools are compatible with 2016 as per documentation. Can someone help with document which i have to go through and what are the post upgrade steps which i should follow. Please advise.

Thanks!

Sam

6 REPLIES 6
Cathy O'Malley
Occasional Advisor

Hi

We have SMMC running on a Windows 2016 without any issues.

Regards

Cathy

tsamuel0905
Occasional Contributor

Great! Let me get in.
VikasMandal
Advisor
Solution

Dear @tsamuel0905

Thank you for your question.

IMC v4.7.3 Release Notes states supported OS is only till  "Microsoft Windows Storage/Server 2012 R2."

SSMC 3.3 is the last release that supports a direct (single-hop) upgrade from SSMC 2.x releases directly to SSMC 3.3.

Yes Windows 2016 (all editions) are supported. Unfortunately I couldn't find this information in SSMC 3.3 release notes, however, SPOCK confirms Windows 2016 (all editions) are supported from SSMC 3.1 onward. You may check this on SPOCK:

Also attached a screenshot for your reference. I don'y think so you need any post upgrade configuration, just make sure to upgrade the SSMC to 3.3 before you upgrade your Windows, then if requied upgrade to latest SSMC 3.3.1

Hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask them.

Regards,
Vikas

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

tsamuel0905
Occasional Contributor

Hello vikas, I really appreciate your effort and time to help me on this. I could see IMC release note Published on October 2016 and Windows 2016 GA available on 12 October 2016, so what I beleive there must be chances for win 2k16. Though If we have official document from HPE, it would be great to move forward. Can you help me with recent release notes for IMC, will validate with that and act accordingly. Thanks!

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

There are no newer release notes for IMC. v4.7.3 is the last version; no further development work is being done on IMC.
Going forward, you should be using the latest version of SSMC (and keep that updated).

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

tsamuel0905
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Smith. I should go with SMMC as you suggested. :) Thanks all