HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752273 Members
4761 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VVOLs on a 3PAR 7200c - Thin Provisioning License Required?

harleyrcc
Occasional Contributor

VVOLs on a 3PAR 7200c - Thin Provisioning License Required?

Hi,

I noticed in the docs that a requirments for VVOLs on a 3PAR 7200c was to have a thin provisioning license. 

My question is if I want to use VVOLS on a 7200c without using thin provisioning do I still need to have a thin provisioning license? 

If so why? I don't and wont use thin provisioning at all.

Thanks,

Derek

7 REPLIES 7
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

"I noticed in the docs..."

Must be something new. Which docs and what page numbers?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

harleyrcc
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for responding Sheldon.

Implementing VMware Virtual Volumes on HP 3PAR StoreServ

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-6907ENW.pdf

Page 7 - Requirments for VVOLs

Licensing - "HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning"

I'm hoping it's an oversight as it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me if I'm not going to use it.

harleyrcc
Occasional Contributor

I've been notified by 3PAR dude (http://3pardude.com/2015/04/14/3par-vvol-requirements/) Thin Provisioning base is included with the OS license for 7200c units. If he is correct (and I have no reason to doubt him) then this question and really this part of HP's requirement doc is irrelevant to this model.

If anyone else can confirm that the 7200c base includes Thin Provisioning then I would appreciate it. If not I will post back the outcome when I receive the unit.

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi harleyrcc,

yes Thin Provisioning is Part of the Base OS License.

But if you want to work with VVOLs, you will need the Virtual Copy License (SnapShot), because one new basic on VVOLs is doing array-based snapshots and no longer in the Software Level.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Yes, it's documented in the current QuickSpecs for HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 Storage

"HP 3PAR 7000 Operating System Software Suite is the foundation software of HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 Storage, combining advanced virtualization capabilities with simple storage management, high efficiency, and world class performance. The included comprehensive thin provisioning capabilities allow your storage to start thin, get thin and stay thin."

All that being said, going back to your original post. Why wouldn't you create your VMs thin in vCenter? There is typically so much "white space" in an OS volume. Why waste disk on white space?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

harleyrcc
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Guys.

Sheldon, the reason I have not used TP in the past is due to the performance impact and the increase in management overhead, having to manage disks growth/shrinking on shared 1 or 2TB LUNs.

Without going in to too much detail and trying to limit how much I sound like I’m whining, I'm time poor and the only IT resource on staff at this stage who has historically (technically and time wise) been capable of managing it. Good,Fast,Cheap, I choose good and fast as it fits business requirements and our capabilities.

Now with a 3Par, VVOLs, the ASICs controlling thin provisioning and the understanding we have the licensing for it, it’s a very real consideration. That being said, if we didn’t own the license I wouldn’t turn it on as the HP licensing cost vs disk cost would probably come out in the wash.

I assume you’ve had a good experience with VVOLs and TP in production?

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

VVOLs are so new, I doubt many (to any) people have experience in a production environment.  I have a couple of VVOLs and 3PAR demos I've done that you can check out (on YouTube):

I have (limited) access to the lab guys so if you have a question that isn't answered elsewhere, I can try to help.