New Discussion

VVset cannot grow because of the duplicated LUN ID

SOLVED
Go to solution
dennischen
Advisor

VVset cannot grow because of the duplicated LUN ID

Hi,

I have a question about the vvset growth in 3par. The vvset members must have the sequential LUN IDs. So when I add a new vv to an exported vvset. I might be failed, because of the duplicated LUN ID.. 

I check the OS 3.2.2MU3 release notes. Seems that it is fixed in 3.2.2 MU3. But I tried in the 3.2.2 MU3 and MU4 3par, still met the duplicated LUN ID problem... So is it an issue(may be fixed in the future) or it's the mandatory condition that the LUN ID in the vvset must be continuous?

1.png

3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: VVset cannot grow because of the duplicated LUN ID

When created, VLUNs must be sequential and continuous.
Let's say we have a volume set called MySet with the following volumes and VLUNs:
MyVolA -- 1
MyVolB -- 2
MyVolC -- 3
MyVolD -- 4
MyVolE -- 5

Before 3.2.2 MU3, the VLUNs of MySet had to always be contiguous. If we wanted to remove MyVolC from the set, we first had to remove MyVolE and MyVolD. As of 3.2.2 MU3, we could remove just MyVolC leaving a gap in the assigned VLUN numbers. After removing MyVolC we would still have:
MyVolA -- 1
MyVolB -- 2
MyVolD -- 4
MyVolE -- 5

But: When exporting a volume set, the VLUNs must be sequential and contiguous. If we unexport MySet and later re-export MySet starting with LUN 1, we would have
MyVolA -- 1
MyVolB -- 2
MyVolD -- 3
MyVolE -- 4
"D" and "E" are now LUNs 3 and 4, whereas before they were 4 and 5.

Anytime you are using Volume Sets, you must keep track of the VLUN starting points. If you assign other volumes or volume sets, you must plan for any growth of the existing volume set(s). So with MySet starting at VLUN 1, we would want to export any subsequent volumes to our host starting with, for example, LUN 11. or 21. This would allow us to add some volumes to MySet expanding its list of VLUNs before colliding with the higher VLUN number.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

dennischen
Advisor

Thanks. enlightening answer!

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>If we wanted to remove MyVolC from the set, we first had to remove MyVolE and MyVolD. As of 3.2.2 MU3, we could remove just MyVolC leaving a gap

Hmm, I thought this was a day one feature of having gaps due to removevvset.