5968 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

3PAR Simulator

CraigV
Advisor

3PAR Simulator

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the place for my query, but it seems as if the 3PAR Simulator website doesn't exist.

I've implemented the 2 nodes and ESD VM and set up the networking. From my Windows server running SSMC, I can ping the virtual array.

However, when it comes to adding the VM in the SSMC Admin Console, I am unable to add it due to the certificate acceptance not being possible. I keep on getting told the certificate is for a 3PAR 8200 (which I assume the sim is.

Thanks!

Craig

4 REPLIES 4
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR Simulator

Hi Criag,

Thank you for coming on HPE Community forums

Looks like you may have to Add Certificate.

you may refer the KB article using the below link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00047653en_us

OR

I suggest to follow the below mentioned steps accordingly.

Creating a CA certificate :

The following procedure uses JavaтАЩs keytool to create public and private keys.

1. Navigate to <C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SSMC\ssmcbase\etc\> and
rename keysstore. to keystore.original.

2. Use keytool to create a new public/privage key pair in a a new keystore file:

keytool -genkeypair -keystore keystore. -alias jetty -keyalg RSA

3. Generate a certificate signing request (CSR):

keytool -certreq -keystore keystore. -alias jetty -file certificate.request.txt

4. Send the CSR to your Certificate Authority and save the resulting signed certificate to the folder in which the keystore resides.

5. Add the chain of certificates to the keystore, starting with the root CA certificate, any intermediate CA certificates, and finally the signed certificate returned by the CA:

keytool -import -alias root -keystore keystore -trustcacerts -file CA.cert.txt

keytool -import -alias jetty -keystore keystore -trustcacerts -file certificate.response.cert.txt

6. Update <C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SSMC\etc\jetty-ssl.xml> with the passwords used by the new keystore. Passwords can be in plain text or they can be obfuscated using a Java class.

7. Restart the HP 3PAR StoreServ Management Console Server service.

8. Import the Certificate AuthorityтАЩs root certificate into the Trusted Root Certificate Store in the browser and browse to SSMC.

The previous instructions are for SSMC installed on Windows but apply in general to Linux as well.

NOTE: You must repeat this process each time you update SSMC.

Hope this helps !!

Regards
Mahesh202

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi Craig,

It requires 3 VMs (2 as nodes and 1  as cage) to be a 3PAR simulator. All 3 VMs in cluster act as 3PAR simulator shares a common system name and serial number. When you are registering the 3PAR, it is not any of the VMs, but the simulated 3PAR you are going to register.

Before registering, please confirm if you have completed all the procedures of OOTB?

Are you able to connect to 3PAR simulator from the SSMC server using Putty session and run any 3PAR commands?

Are you able to ping the 3PAR simulator IP from SSMC server?

Are the SSMC and 3PAR simulator on the same base machine? and in the same network?

Regards,

Srini

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ataurbd
Occasional Contributor

I want to create lab environment with vmware for practicing 3par primera. How to do this and where i can get vm file? need your instructions

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Hello @ataurbd,

Good day! 

Creating a lab environment for practicing with an HPE 3PAR Primera storage system using VMware is a great way to learn and experiment. To set up such an environment, you'll need to follow these steps:

>> You will need VMware software. VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion for macOS is recommended for creating and managing virtual machines.
You may also need an HPE 3PAR Primera simulator VM, which emulates the 3PAR Primera storage system for your practice. You can obtain this simulator from HPE if you have an HPE Support Center account.

>> Download and install VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion on your host machine (PC or Mac). Follow the installation instructions provided for your specific operating system.

>> Visit the HPE Support Center or contact your HPE support to obtain the 3PAR Primera simulator VM. You will need an HPE account to access the download. Follow their instructions for downloading and extracting the simulator VM.

>> Open VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion.

> Create a new virtual machine and select the option to "Use an existing virtual disk."

>> Browse to the location where you extracted the HPE 3PAR Primera simulator VM file and select it.
>> Follow the on-screen prompts to set up the VM settings, including CPU, memory, and network configuration.

>> Ensure that the VM is configured to use the network settings you want for your lab environment. You may need to set the network adapter to use a bridge or NAT configuration, depending on your network setup.

>> Start the 3PAR Primera simulator VM within VMware.

>> Once the VM is up and running, you should be able to access the 3PAR Primera simulator through a web browser or other provided management tools. Consult the HPE documentation for specific instructions on how to access and use the simulator.

>> With the simulator running, you can now practice and learn how to manage an HPE 3PAR Primera storage system in a safe and controlled environment.
Please note that the availability of the HPE 3PAR Primera simulator and the steps for obtaining and using it may change over time. Make sure to check the HPE website and resources for the latest information and updates. Additionally, ensure that your host machine has sufficient resources (CPU, RAM, storage) to run the simulator effectively.

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.