HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752577 Members
4163 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting HP 3PAR 7400 2-Node to two blade enclosures VC Flex at the same time?

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Connecting HP 3PAR 7400 2-Node to two blade enclosures VC Flex at the same time?

Hi,

I have two blade enclosures with only one HP 3PAR 7400 2-Node Storage.

I have 4 * VC Flex Fabric 10Gb/24 -port modules in each blade enclosure.

i have 4 * VC FC SAN 8Gb 24-port modules in each blade enclosure.

Each of the HP 3PAR two nodes have 2 ports making a total of 4 FC ports.

I have also HP StoreOnce and Tape Library backup equipment.

The customer is considering mixed Flat/direct attached and Fabric switches attached SAN.

1- Can i Connect the HP 3PAR 7400 2-Node to two blade enclosures VC Flex at the same time?

If yes, what would be the cabling topology?

If no, what would be the best practices?

2- I am configuring one of the blade servers as a VSP for the 3PAR Storage. What else do i require before starting the initialization.

3- Question 3 depends on answer provided in 1.

Thanks & Best Regards

Yaboto

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Connecting HP 3PAR 7400 2-Node to two blade enclosures VC Flex at the same time?

1) I believe the best practice is to have each controller node connected to both fabrics. Also, ports of the same pair of nodes with the same ID should be connected to the same fabric. Example:

• 0:1:1 and 1:1:1 on Fabric 1
  • 0:1:2 and 1:1:2 on Fabric 2

Given two enclosures, you will need a couple 4-port FC cards for the expansion slots:

• 0:2:1 and 1:2:1 on Fabric 3
  • 0:2:2 and 1:2:2 on Fabric 4

2) If you are configuring one of the blade servers as a VSP, you will need local storage. The VSP must not reside on the 3PAR.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks.
If i understand very well, thi means i camnot configure flat direct attached SAN considering my scenario: one 3par with 4 fc ports, 2 blade enclosure, 4 vc flex., 4 vc SAN, ........
Pls confirm.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

4 vc flex. + 4 vc SAN = 8 ports.

You only have 4.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Can' t i dedicate and direct flat connect only 2 ports fro m the 3par to each of the 2 blade enclosures.. Meaning each blade enclosure connect to only 2 ports of the 3PAR .(single connection to node 0, songle connection to node 1)???
Is it supported and recommwnded practice.?
David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

How are you going to link  the VC flex to the FC SAN? are they not already connected? do you not already have a fabric?

Do you just need licensing or is already included?

Regards.

David Tocker