108758 Solutions
New Discussion

create CPG error

noor Parkar_1
Occasional Advisor

create CPG error

hi,

i am trying to create CPG on NL disks.

i have NL disk around  6  and 902 GB each size.

Total NL DISK SIZE = 5142 gb

I have not created any CPG with NL disks.

the space is distributed as : system spare: 822 GB + Free 3688 GB  + Failed 902 GB = 5142 GB

Now i am trying to create a CPG . I chose tick mark on advanced options and "Estimated free system space based on the current allocation settings selections

Now if chose RAID 0  - set size is disabled - step size 256 KiB = estimated free system space is 3688 GB. which is the total free space of NL disk as mentioned above

IF

i change from raid 0 to  RAID 1 and set size 2 data and step size 256 KiB  - why estimated free system space is 0 GB

and there is error message  "Available free space in system is less than 32 GB (i.e value for growth increment)

how it is calculated.

i want to understand this error message.  why it is showing that and Next button is disabled.

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: create CPG error

>I have NL disk around  6  and 902 GB each size.

Using the CLI, what does this show:

showpd -p -devtype NL

If you don't have your PDs in separate cages, you won't be able to create anything unless you add:

-ha mag

>the space is distributed as : system spare: 822 GB + Free 3688 GB  + Failed 902 GB = 5142 GB

Why do you have any failed?  What does this show:

showpd -s -failed -degraded

>I want to understand this error message.

Unfortunately there are not enough details in the message.  :-(

noor Parkar_1
Occasional Advisor

hi, 

Yes there is one failed NL hard disk. but for NL disks, it is calculating total space wiht failed disk. 

my question is why it is not allowing me to create CPG when there is space. around 3688 GB

if i chose RAID 1  it is throwing error as mentioned under estimated space. 

thanks

Noor

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

The default when creating a CPG is to use High Availability Cage: (-ha cage). This assumes you have physical drives evenly distributed across the cages (aka chassis aka shelves).

Along with the advanced options, look for the High Availability selection. It is undoubtedly showing "cage". Change it to "magazine" and try again.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>why it is not allowing me to create CPG when there is space around 3688 GB

I explained it may be due to "-ha cage" and that's why I asked for the showpd output.

What do these show:

showspace -p -devtype NL

showspace -p -devtype NL -ha mag