108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Limiting IOPS for specific LUNs for a period of time

owahid
Frequent Advisor

Limiting IOPS for specific LUNs for a period of time

Hello

I have  a storage 3par-8200 and 12 host running many VMs for many customers ,

Two hosts of the 12 host hosting the VMs for a specific customer beside other VMs related to another customer, this specific customer have an application and database expected to be accessed by millions of users for a specifc period of time , my question how to limit the total IOPS of this hosts on specifc LUNs just to ensure other hosts for other customers and projects will not down ?

for example how to limit the total IOPS on specific LUNs to be maximume 30 % of total storage IOPs

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Limiting IOPS for specific LUNs for a period of time

If I understand correctly, in case you want to limit IOPs then better to increase Host HBA level IO size, that will reduce IOPs for that particular LUN presented to particular Hosts.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
owahid
Frequent Advisor

how to increase Host HBA level IO size? from SSMC or from the the host OS?

You need to set IO size at the Host OS level or application level or Host HBA level. It's purely host end activity so you need to work with your Host experts.

Please remember increasing IO size will increase latency which means you may face performance issue. So this type of critical modification needs to be reviewed by Solution Architect or designer of your setup based on your business requirement.

For example, in case of ESX host there is one setting called "Disk.DiskMaxIOSize". Please find the VMware article to get more details,

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2036863

Also you can see below article,

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/1M-iops-perf-vsphere5.pdf (page no 7 & 8 having good explanation with graph)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Wassim_ADSN
Occasional Visitor

You can use the QoS from ESX in order to limit the IOPS from hosts