108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Maximum LUN size for Windows 2012 R2 Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

Maximum LUN size for Windows 2012 R2 Server

Good afternoon, I've seen a few articles on the web suggesting that the maximum size of a LUN provided to Windows 2012 R2 Server can range from 2 - 256TB (dependant on underlying configuration). We're currently considering an option to create a 5TB drive on our HP 3PAR 8200 SAN (consisting of SAS drives configured Raid 5) and present it to CommVault (running under a Windows 2012 R2 Server) , but wondering whether its possible to present it so that the full 5TB are available/visible to the host ? . The 5B would be required to accommodate an SQL backup running under CommVault.
3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Maximum LUN size for Windows 2012 R2 Server

As far as I know, 3PAR has always supported virtual volumes of up to 16 TiB in virtual size.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

Thankyou for the feedback. My concern wasn't so much on the 3PAR side, but more on whether there were any known limitations/cap under Windows 2012 R2 side that might prevent us from presenting a 5Tb virtual drive from the 3PAR (similar to some of the Virtual disk restrictions that used to apply to older versions of VMware), that might prevent us from formatting/allocating the full 5Tb volume on the Windows side ?
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

None. Create 3PAR virtual volume, present to WIndows host, format as GPT disk. You should take a look at the HPE 3PAR Microsoft Windows Server Implementation Guide.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo