1748204 Members
3898 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Migrating 3Par

FSU2014
Occasional Contributor

Migrating 3Par

I have 3 arrays can I migrate the storage to 1 larger array with enough capacity?

If so, what tool do I use to do this?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Migrating 3Par

Have you looked at HP 3PAR Peer Motion?

HP 3PAR Peer Motion Data Migration Guide, May 2015

QL226-98157a

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

FSU2014
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @Sheldon Smith, that is helpful. 

Do you know if this will work across data center?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

If you mean WAN distances, no. If the data centers are physically adjacent (bulkhead wall between) that should be fine.

Some OSes have internal migration facilities. For example, Un*x Volume Managers, or VMware vMotion Storage.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Thomas Biesmans
Occasional Advisor

Peer Motion has the same requirements as Synchronous Remote Copy over FC / IP: 2,6 ms RTT (round trip time).

You could always use Asynchronous Periodic (2,6 ms over FC, 150ms RTT over IP, 120ms RTT over FCIP) to move your data to a new system, then do a planned fail-over, this limits your downtime:

- halt I/O

- sync your RC Groups

- perform a fail-over

- make sure everything is exported, re-scan, start everything up etc.

You can choose your granularity by which volumes you put in the RC Groups.

RTTs are based on the support matrix of 3PAR OS 3.2.1.