7008 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Stand Alone 3PAR OS upgrade

francis77
Occasional Contributor

Stand Alone 3PAR OS upgrade

Hi,

I am new to 3PAR, we have recieved notification that our 3PAR OS can be upgraded. Since we only use two 3PAR Store serv 8000 devices (not configured for fail over and operating independently to each other), is it recommended for the OS to be upgraded.

Current OS version:  3.3.1.25068

Available for Upgrade version: 3.3.1.410

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Absolutely. It would be a poorly-designed storage system that could not be upgraded.

The 3PAR StoreServ system has one or more pair of controller nodes. While they normally split the workload, either can take over the work of both when needed. (See the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Architecture manual in the HPE Information Library [Storage].) During the upgrade of the 3PAR OS is one of those times. The nodes get updated one at a time and reboot with the updated OS.

Check with 3PAR Support, they can help you check that your hosts' multipathing is all correctly configured and functioning, and any switches are all up-to-date. A poorly-designed infrastructure (host with only one path and that to a node that is rebooting) would have a problem. Your hosts do at least have dual paths don't they? <smile>

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

francis77
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sheldon,

We have a 4 node 8400 StoreServ system at both stand alone sites, checked and confirmed that on 3PAR console hosts are connected to more than one node, thanks.