AI Insights
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embracing Disruption When Transitioning to the New Style of IT

HectorArevalo

Attribution: Adrian Velez, HP Enterprise Group – Content Strategist

Startups make innovation look easy. Seemingly out of nowhere, young and vibrant companies emerge to tackle long-standing business challenges. Established organizations, on the other hand, are often bound to rigorous compliance processes, shareholder obligations, and multi-year corporate planning cycles — disruption is seemingly impossible.

As the recent survey from HP points out, 75 percent of established firms1 currently lack the qualities of ‘digital disruptors’ within their industries. These organizations recognize a need for innovation but lack the capabilities to develop or execute a formal strategy.

But all is far from lost. As companies begin to make sense of their data assets, complex security challenges, and options for scalable infrastructure, there is a window of opportunity for IT executives to build innovative cultures within their organizations. Here are the three most important steps to disruption in corporate IT:

1 - Invest in scalable infrastructure

According to HP’s recent survey, organizations labeled as ‘laggards’ are less likely to be investing in the cloud than their ‘leader’ or ‘mainstreamer’ counterparts. With innovation in IT necessitating a comfort level with unpredictable rises and falls in customer demand the correlation makes sense.  In other words, businesses need the infrastructure to react and respond quickly.

Take the case of PlayStation, as an example. As Craig Nunes, Vice President of Marketing for HP Storage, points out — there are millions of players who have a strong appetite for new gear, toys, role playing games, and apps on phones. As a result, Sony needs to be prepared to process transactions in as little time as possible.

“To them, it’s about handling growth while meeting very aggressive service levels for the customers who are gaming on their infrastructure,” says Nunes.  At the end of the day, it’s a competitive environment that requires extreme agility. Scalable infrastructure is what allows businesses to keep up, adapt to new business directions, and outpace potential roadblocks to innovation.

2 - Prioritize revenue generation above maintenance

Organizations have previously perceived IT as a support function that was more likely to produce costs than generate revenue. Today’s digital and data-driven ecosystem, however, has created a climate in which speed is the ultimate competitive advantage. Consumers want information quickly — and they want it tailored to their exact needs.

Innovation in IT requires a customer-centric view. Organizations must look beyond costs to assess investments based on incremental gains in speed and ROI.

“IT leaders fall down when they consider the storage structure as a space for data rather than an enabler for applications and key business opportunities,” says Nunes.

“It’s important to evaluate where the return outweighs the risk. Technologies like flash are more than just incremental gains — they’re major step function improvements.”

3 - Protect your assets

With ambiguity and fluctuating demands come vulnerability. The biggest challenge in IT is that risks are unpredictable and unknown — the faster an organization moves, the more at risk it becomes to security breaches and losses.

“When we talk to customers about their data and how to best deliver the agility they need for unpredictable environments, we would fall short if we didn’t talk about how to protect that data,” says Nunes.

Natural disasters, data center outages, mechanical failures, process challenges, and human error are all potential risks that are outside the IT team’s control. That’s why IT teams need two things: (1) a system for monitoring irregularities and (2) a formal, organization-wide education and response plan.

“In a single click, teams need to take the measures they need to ensure that the data they are serving is protected,” says Nunes. “Transparency is critical and often, requires minimal extra process layers or software in place.”

Final thoughts: invest in education and people

Disruption in IT needs more than technology and systems. Organizations need to invest equal — if not more — in its people and processes. Allow team members to feel comfortable learning and implementing processes of experimentation. Exploration is crucial to innovation.

IT can use its influence the business to meet its goals – introducing not just technology, but the processes and workflows that enable growth, improve profitability, increase agility, boost productivity, improve the customer experience, increase innovation and reduce risk. Read the Insights: 2015 Infrastructure Imperatives eBook to see how you can use digital technologies to increase agility and boost innovation. Getting to the art of the possible by moving to the New Style of IT.

Bookmark HP Infrastructure Insights to get the latest updates on HP and the New Style of IT.

Insights: 2015 Infrastructure Imperatives

0 Kudos
About the Author

HectorArevalo

Comments
David Bigelow

This basically describes the Fortuen 500 IT departments in the USA.  Leadership consistently place a higher priority on the "process" of change verses the "results" of change.  This "policy driven" approach to business KILLS any desires for evaluation of innovative new IT technologies, methods and processes before they are even considered for disucssion internally.  The barriers are "very thick" and "very high" for even the most minor of changes and suggestions.

Until TRUE LEADERSHIP sproutes up (which requires ownership and accountabilty) -- Managers will continue to "manage" other peoples crappy decisions that resulted their current situation and environment.

Christine M Berry

If my brains could have been useful in 1986, I liked MSDOS programing. but then C++ and due to its complications

of grasping and my poor eyesight I all but given up.  I now have stocks in pharmecueticals that I know will be around

long after my death, I am not so sure about IT, that's uncharted language, and is so demanding due to all that rely on

the people that sit for hours glued to the screen and trying to make sence of it all, I commend your passion, drive and

determination.  A hearty pat on the back is in order.

Labels