AI Insights
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key IT investments to protect your data—and your reputation

TracySiclair

Guest blog by Bill Kleyman

The modern trends around digitization and cloud have catapulted cybersecurity into the forefront of concerns for business and IT decision-makers. According to a Ponemon report, the annual cost of cybercrime to companies is $77 million. What's also substantial, and no less important, is the connection between data breaches and brand reputation.

The time it takes to resolve a cybercrime also affects the cost, with the average enterprise taking 46 days to resolve an attack, at a cost of more than $21,000 per day, according to the report. It goes without saying that the cost to an enterprise's reputation also grows with each passing day. The report cites lost revenue and opportunity cost as two of the main consequences of reputational damage. Customer and stakeholder churn increases as a result of a cyberattack, resulting in lost revenue, and lost business opportunities results in costs related to business opportunities.

newsconference_337356.jpgProtect the business—secure your brand

As we discuss security, the conversation goes further than just protecting your IT environment. You're also attempting to protect your brand and your reputation. The cost of recovering from cyberattacks—including reputational damage, where the trust in a company decreases and their brand loses value—is also increasing.

A Ponemon study looking at the aftermath of a data breach pointed out that data breaches, poor customer service, and environmental disasters have the greatest impact on brand reputation. According to the study, breaches have a major impact on customer fears about identity theft. Prior to having their personal information lost or stolen, 24 percent of respondents said they were "extremely or very concerned about becoming a victim of identity theft." This concern increased to 45 percent after the breach, and nearly half of respondents felt that their identity remains compromised years after a breach.

Creating an architecture around brand protection and IT security

So, what can organizations do to protect not only their data but also their brand? Introduce greater levels of IT and security automation.

• Cybersecurity and automation enable the business. Automating key processes within the business will help lock down applications, users, and the overall infrastructure. You can control where users are placed, which workloads they use, and how they interact with critical data points.
  • IT automation helps create predictive capabilities. You'll be able to forecast where resources are required and where those resources aren't being used properly. Most of all, you'll be able to create greater levels of efficiency and leverage your existing infrastructure investments.
  • Integrating data center and automation helps people and process. When automation is integrated into the data center, you help create better management around applications, business processes, and specific data points. You can still transparently deliver powerful workloads while managing where and how data is actually being accessed.
  • Brand and business go hand-in-hand. To protect the brand, you must protect the business and all critical data points associated with the organization. Automation helps control critical aspects of the business and IT processes. Through automation, you control who has access to sensitive data points and where information is being transferred. Brand protection revolves around advanced business intelligence and deep insight into the entire data center. Automation helps bridge security, business, brand, and IT.

Moving forward, IT security will impact all aspects of the business and the market. Most of all, organizations will need to find ways to protect consumer confidence as well as their brands. To accomplish this, intelligent ways to manage the entire data center will be critical to managing data breaches and brand reputation.

To learn more about the impact of cybercrime in the enterprise, read the Cyber Risk Report 2016.

Bill_Kleyman.jpg

Bill Kleyman.  Thanks for stopping by and checking out my profile! I'm an enthusiastic technologist with experience in data center design, management, and deployment. My architecture work includes large virtualization and cloud deployments as well as business network design and implementation. Most of all, I enjoy writing, blogging, and educating colleagues around everything that is technology. During the day, I'm the Vice President of Strategy and Innovation at MTM Technologies, where I interacts with enterprise organizations and helps align IT strategies with direct business goals. Many of my whitepapers, articles, video blogs and podcasts have been published and referenced on WindowsITPro, Data Center Knowledge, InformationWeek, NetworkComputing, TechTarget, DarkReading, CBS Interactive, Slashdot, and many others. Most recently, I was ranked #16 globally in the Onalytica study which reviewed the top 100 most influential individuals in the cloud landscape; and #4 in a different Onalytica study reviewing the industry's top Data Security Experts. I hold a BS in Network and Communication Management, and MBA concentrating in Marketing, and an MISM concentrating in Security. Outside of that - I love playing the piano, playing around with new technology (especially IoT and home automation), practicing martial arts (Tae Kwon Do), and traveling!

0 Kudos
About the Author

TracySiclair

Tracy Siclair has worked for HPE for 20 years in various positions, all geared towards providing a better customer experience. She has a passion for thinking out-of-the-box and finding innovative ways to get the job done. While not on a computer for work, she enjoys watching her kids play sports, photography, videography, and the occasional game of billiards. Tracy resides in beautiful Fort Collins, Colorado.

Labels