1748238 Members
3561 Online
108759 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
Curt_Hopkins

Di Liang has been made an Optical Society fellow

Di LiangDi Liang

By Curt Hopkins, Managing Editor, Hewlett Packard Labs

Di Liang, a Labs senior research scientist, has been elected as a Fellow Member of The Optical Society (OSA) at the organizationโ€™s September 2019 Board of Directors meeting. 

According to a letter from Meredith Smith, director of OSA Awards and Honors, fellowship in OSA is limited to no more than ten percent of the membership and is reserved for those who have served with distinction in the advancement of optics and photonics.

In Liangโ€™s case, he is being honored โ€œfor seminal contributions to innovative photonic material and device integration for energy efficient optical communication and volume production.โ€

Liang, however, would like to spread the acclaim around a bit.

โ€œThis is an honor I would like to share with many teachers, mentors, and colleagues, who taught and helped me so much in my career, inside and outside HPE,โ€ he said. โ€œIt is also a tremendous responsibility to continue advancing the field of optics and new technologies. I am grateful to the opportunity to work with plenty of talented and passionate colleagues to make the future together.โ€

Ray Beausoleil, HPE Senior Fellow and director of the Large-Scale Integrated Photonics program at Hewlett Packard Labs, underscored the outstanding job Liang has done leading the Santa Barbara-based groupโ€™s hybrid photonic device team.

"Over the last decade, our Santa Barbarians have set one world record after another in hybrid laser and detector performance, publishing results in top-tier peer-reviewed journals," he said. "Diโ€™s election to OSA Fellow at such a young age is a direct reflection of his international reputation as one of the best people in this field.โ€

Founded in 1916, OSA is a leading professional association in optics and photonics, with a global membership drawn from the worlds of science, engineering, and business. 

Curt Hopkins
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/hpe_labs
linkedin.com/showcase/hewlett-packard-labs/
labs.hpe.com

0 Kudos
About the Author

Curt_Hopkins

Managing Editor, Hewlett Packard Labs