Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

5 Performance Testing Tips and Techniques

‎06-07-2013 08:49 AM - edited ‎09-17-2015 03:30 PM

Guest post by

Sarah Roderus, CTFL, CI, ASE

TCT Computing Group, Inc.

Performance Testing is one of the many tests that is often rushed or mis-scoped to accommodate the true traffic an application must endure. Below are five performance testing tips and techniques that I’ve found useful over my several years as a performance tester.

#1 - Obtain REAL Load Levels

Improve and focus the communication with your client. Hold one-on-one interviews to determine the expected “real world” load levels. If the application is already in production, take the time to gather live usage data.

#2 – Let the Business Owners / Experts Identify the Key Business Processes

Conducting one-on-one interviews with clients will help identify the key business processes. Remember to focus on the processes using these four guidelines:

• Is the business process mission critical?
  • Is there a heavy amount of throughput generated by the business process?
  • Does the business process contain many dynamic and/or complex data or calculations?
  • Is there any other process that would pose a risk to the business should the business process fail?

If the answer is YES to any of these questions, it is a business process that is a good candidate for the performance test.

#3 – Concentrate on ONLY Key Business Processes

Concentrate on a maximum of eight key business processes for performance testing. This is NOT a functional test. Keep in mind what we identified as key business processes from tip #2. Don’t create a performance test that is actually a functional performance test!

#4 – Develop a Solid Test Plan and Stick to the Plan

A complete custom plan will include goal load levels, business process steps, transaction name and acceptable response times. These are some of the key items to include in a performance test plan. Don’t change the goals to match the results – the test MUST model expected reality.

#5 - Remember Your Environment

In today’s world, many applications share the same infrastructure. Sometimes, during performance testing, Application 1 and Application 2 will perform well in a test environment when tested separately. However, what happens when Application 1 and Application 2 run concurrently? Can the infrastructure handle THAT load? I call this the BIG KAHUNA Performance Test! What happens when you put everything together? I guess we will have to discuss that situation in my next post =)

0 Kudos
About the Author

This account is for guest bloggers. The blog post will identify the blogger.

NaveenKumar N
on ‎06-07-2013 09:46 AM

Very useful tips.

Prashant Chambakara
on ‎09-24-2013 02:55 AM

Nice article and thanks for sharing the information. Performance testing of website is way to find bottlenecks in the website and the applications associated with it. It plays a vital role in entire app development and testing cycle.

Nov 29 - Dec 1
Discover 2016 London
Learn how to thrive in a world of digital transformation at our biggest event of the year, Discover 2016 London, November 29 - December 1.
Read more
Each Month in 2016
Software Expert Days - 2016
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more