All About the Apps
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A World Without Apps

Stephen A. Williams

I really like your point that the application model is getting turned upside down, or even inside out. The user is at the center with apps all around him. This changes the interaction model to a collaboration-focused approach where multiple people, applications and data are working together on a given activity. By applying analytics and automation to these context-aware collaborations, users will benefit from a simplified yet completely personalized user experience.

A basic example would be your smartphone prompting you to call or text a colleague when it detects that you will be late for a meeting with him (i.e., based on the current time, your calendar, and your current location).  For a more advanced scenario, consider how your business traveler example could be enhanced even further by automatically incorporating new information about the trip as it becomes available -- e.g., change in flight time, project status update of the customer being visited, etc.

This is a significant shift from the traditional application-centric thinking of the past few decades.  As @GenefaM pointed out in the previous comment, this will challenge developers to work in a new paradigm that supports a collaborative & context-aware user experience.  The traditional tools that have been used for developing & operating systems of record are not equipped to effectively deliver systems of engagement.  Some of the newer mobile-focused platforms are a step in the right direction, but they do not yet address the design points of collaboration and context (which thus must be handled on an ad-hoc basis).

0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen A. Williams

Comments
GenefaM

The day of the intelligent app is only getting stronger, and the focus on context aware apps is another great exemplar of this. The question I have is, as end-users this all makes perfect sense but from a developers or product owners perspective how do they have to change their approach or process to ensure that they are creating apps that can accommodate this type of unknown variable without causing too much engineering overhead and whilst maintaining the compelling user experience we all expect from mobile?

Hava Y

As a person who works in an enterprise most of my daily routine is driven by mail and calendar. To make my day more productive key information can be deduced from these feeds: sender name, participants , mail importance, similar threads , tasks to follow up etc... 

Taking into account these vars and relates the to time, location and availability would leverage those app from just being a necessity evil to a great personal assistants

Stephen A. Williams

I really like your point that the application model is getting turned upside down, or even inside out. The user is at the center with apps all around him. This changes the interaction model to a collaboration-focused approach where multiple people, applications and data are working together on a given activity. By applying analytics and automation to these context-aware collaborations, users will benefit from a simplified yet completely personalized user experience.

A basic example would be your smartphone prompting you to call or text a colleague when it detects that you will be late for a meeting with him (i.e., based on the current time, your calendar, and your current location).  For a more advanced scenario, consider how your business traveler example could be enhanced even further by automatically incorporating new information about the trip as it becomes available -- e.g., change in flight time, project status update of the customer being visited, etc.

This is a significant shift from the traditional application-centric thinking of the past few decades.  As @GenefaM pointed out in the previous comment, this will challenge developers to work in a new paradigm that supports a collaborative & context-aware user experience.  The traditional tools that have been used for developing & operating systems of record are not equipped to effectively deliver systems of engagement.  Some of the newer mobile-focused platforms are a step in the right direction, but they do not yet address the design points of collaboration and context (which thus must be handled on an ad-hoc basis).

Kobieisen

As GenefaM and Stephen A. Williams commented, getting developers to adopt this change in the design approach is indeed a challenge, it actually goes beyond just the developers but expands to anyone who is part of application building process including product managers, business analysts, usability experts etc.

As was with other disruptive changes in techonlogy usually these challenges are met with semi-closed platforms which provide the tools for all personas to take advantage of these new rules of engagement.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more