All About the Apps
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Automation Testing: Why are we making it so complex?

Michael-Deady

You may or may not  know from my blogs I a big proponent of business process testing and like you I believe BPT could be considered the foundation of keep it simple while embracing a structured framework. I don’t know if Mr. Palagyi is or isn’t it proponent business process testing; however I know I don’t believe in layers and layers of function libraries, static descriptive programming instead of a dynamic object repository, and Excel spreadsheets that are larger than most 19th-century novels.  And If Mr. P doesn't agree with me that BPT is the best  thing invented since the spill free coffee cup just know that he's wrong and I'm right

Thanks

@wh4tsup_doc

What's Up
DOC

@Wh4tsup_Doc
About the Author

Michael-Deady

Michael Deady is a Pr. Consultant & Solution Architect for Teksystems, center on quality, aimed at client's satisfaction, and long-term success. Perceived by clients, peers, and supervisors as a leader with the proven ability to lead development and quality assurance teams through software-development life cycle phases, to ensure quality of new products. He specializes in software development, testing, and security. He also loves science fiction movies and anything to do with Texas.

Comments
Michael-Deady

Is the weekend mafia taking over HP IT expert community page? I Feel like I'm reading a script from the Sopranos," Sil, break it down for 'em. What two scripting methods traditionally been full-proof since time immemorial?"

In this case, I happen to agree with Mr. Brian “Tony” Palagyi there’s always a trade-off when it comes to automation when we try to make it simpler for the user or we attempt to make it as hearty as the application it test we sacrifice performance and easily maintainable automation framework.  

@wh4tsup_Doc

vaishnavi_alm

Interesting read. Can't agree less with you. When it comes to the Guidelines vs Frameworks contention, guidelines would be the "Less is more" solution.

BrianPalagyi

But isn't that what we are shooting for?  We want a simple solution that allows greater flexibility for all scripting and testing needs while not locking users into large legacy or unknown automation that doesn’t directly impact the current testing need.  With guidelines, you can regulate the creation and direction of automation and target development of reusable actions where there is greatest benefit, rather than forcing them into the framework where they are either used or not, but still account for the majority of code and performance bloat within automation.

vaishnavi_alm
Absolutely. The combination of "Test automation + business process tests + test management" is a light-weight framework in itself, giving the tester the flexibility to design tests focussing on testing the AUT, rather than the overkill of maintaining the automation framework and many lines of scripted code. With a jazzy framework, the ROI gained in test automation is eventually eroded by the maintenance effort, in addition to the performance trade-off. Guidelines help maintain the standards and also give room for creativity.
Michael-Deady

You may or may not  know from my blogs I a big proponent of business process testing and like you I believe BPT could be considered the foundation of keep it simple while embracing a structured framework. I don’t know if Mr. Palagyi is or isn’t it proponent business process testing; however I know I don’t believe in layers and layers of function libraries, static descriptive programming instead of a dynamic object repository, and Excel spreadsheets that are larger than most 19th-century novels.  And If Mr. P doesn't agree with me that BPT is the best  thing invented since the spill free coffee cup just know that he's wrong and I'm right

Thanks

@wh4tsup_doc

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more