All About the Apps
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Exploratory testing in an Agile environment – Part 1 of 3

Noy_Bar

Thank you for your comment.

In this article, or at all, we never approach Exploratory Testing as a unique and only way to do testing. Specially in the Agile world, additional automated testing such as Dev testing, Unit testing, group testing, acceptance testing etc. Are happening and it is good they do- because identifying problems in an early stage is critical- remember Be Productive, Efficient, Response fast to changes and always be open to feedback.

Exploratory testing is complimenting all other testing available in any method, and specially Agile, since it brings in additional perspective which is structured to compare with the others. With that being said, Exploratory testing nor Structured testing are not exclusive.

The breakout you present of 50% structured and 50% exploratory does not account to automated testing. It might be more accurate to say that the manual (i.e. not automated) testing can be broken down to 50% structured, 50% automated.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Noy_Bar

Comments
SSE

Why can't we use a structred test case execution and exploratory testing simultaneously?

Yes its true the exploratory testing truly depends on the experience and depth of the knowledge in the domain. But simultaneously if the structured cases are also used along with exploratry testing atleast high priority test cases (of structred casest), then there is a good chance to identify critical issues at the earliest. This will give the developers and other stake holders a fair idea where the stability of the developed pts is standing.

I am senior software test engineer and I have around 7 yrs exp, and I had tried this approach several times. Its like 50% structured document and 50 % exploratory testing which constitute the pdt or the software stability, there after cosmetics issues, usability issues can be identified and that can also be solved. This will help the respective stakeholder like developers Business analysts to priortise the issues and later solve the same accordingly. Business Analysts will get an idea of the missing req and can be cross checked with the customer also.

So that at final release to the customer, atleast 80 to 90% the software will be free of issues with respect to the requirment.

Noy_Bar

Thank you for your comment.

In this article, or at all, we never approach Exploratory Testing as a unique and only way to do testing. Specially in the Agile world, additional automated testing such as Dev testing, Unit testing, group testing, acceptance testing etc. Are happening and it is good they do- because identifying problems in an early stage is critical- remember Be Productive, Efficient, Response fast to changes and always be open to feedback.

Exploratory testing is complimenting all other testing available in any method, and specially Agile, since it brings in additional perspective which is structured to compare with the others. With that being said, Exploratory testing nor Structured testing are not exclusive.

The breakout you present of 50% structured and 50% exploratory does not account to automated testing. It might be more accurate to say that the manual (i.e. not automated) testing can be broken down to 50% structured, 50% automated.

saranya Venkat

Hi Noy Bar,

Your blog was really useful. 

We have used this method in our project due to time constraint and unprecise requirements. We followed the same procedure of writing the test steps after the exploratory testing and  it immensely helped us to detect more defects. We had the thought that this was not a procedural way of testing . But after seeing your blog, I am assured that this method can definitely be used in the suitable areas.

Looking forward to learn more on this topic and also have a question whether this should be used only in Agile method and if it can be used in other methods ?

saranya Venkat

Hi Noy Bar,

Your blog was really useful.

We have used this method in our project due to time constraint and unprecise requirements. We followed the same procedure of writing the test steps after the exploratory testing and it immensely helped us to detect more defects. We had the thought that this was not a procedural way of testing . But after seeing your blog, I am assured that this method can definitely be used in the suitable areas.

Looking forward to learn more on this topic and also have a question whether this should be used only in Agile method and if it can be used in other methods ?

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more