All About the Apps
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Looking to enhance your execution reports? Have you tried automation reporting lately?

Michael-Deady

great question, this is one issue that has bugged me for so many years, and I have completely forgotten to test it in the new UFT 11.5. I'm currently getting ready to head to Germany but believe me; I will be unit testing that issue right away once I hit the Ground, and I will also be talking to R&D while in there.

QTP 11.00 and lower

Over the years like you, I've used a lot of workarounds, one of my favorites that seems to works without building external report instead of using checkpoints which only half past fail criteria; I've used passive checks like win_exist or check the run state of an object. Unfortunately, this doesn't bypass of those times when a GUI object can't be found during the set event, but it can stop those annoying failures on one iteration.

Quickest workaround for large data iterations for me has been a larger lab, breaking the data to run over several PCs or VM's so that it narrows the failure to a subset of the data.

I've contact as a friend who told me that he figured out a way to intercept the failure before it was written to the report, which sounds great, unless he's altered the function libraries of QTP?

To this day, most people still manually change the pass or fail within quality center. I will definitely get back to you no later than Friday of next week with an answer to your original question as it pertains to UFT 11.5.

I know a lot of the viewers of these blogs are both R&D and marketing, which drive updates and patches for both new and older versions of the application.

I hoping that R&D has some Feedback for you.

What's Up
DOC

@Wh4tsup_Doc
0 Kudos
About the Author

Michael-Deady

Michael Deady is a Pr. Consultant & Solution Architect for Teksystems, center on quality, aimed at client's satisfaction, and long-term success. Perceived by clients, peers, and supervisors as a leader with the proven ability to lead development and quality assurance teams through software-development life cycle phases, to ensure quality of new products. He specializes in software development, testing, and security. He also loves science fiction movies and anything to do with Texas.

Comments
David Hartley

I really like the video feature implemented in the reports, since using it it's made execution analysis much easier. I have to say that I haven't needed to use any of the other additional reporting features implement so couldn't comment on them.

There is one major flaw with the HP/QC reporting and that is around multiple iterations. If I've created a data driven test that runs 1000 iterations, the test is only represented once in QC. The problem with that is that it only takes 1 failure to mark the entire test run as a fail. What QC needs to do is break the iterations down and report on each one in test lab because each iteration is representing a different test case.

The only way I've been able to get around it is to design reports outside of QC where I can track iterations, but it is a painful mess of excel, VBA and OTA. If this feature does exist I would love to know, if not do you think HP could consider it?

Michael-Deady

great question, this is one issue that has bugged me for so many years, and I have completely forgotten to test it in the new UFT 11.5. I'm currently getting ready to head to Germany but believe me; I will be unit testing that issue right away once I hit the Ground, and I will also be talking to R&D while in there.

QTP 11.00 and lower

Over the years like you, I've used a lot of workarounds, one of my favorites that seems to works without building external report instead of using checkpoints which only half past fail criteria; I've used passive checks like win_exist or check the run state of an object. Unfortunately, this doesn't bypass of those times when a GUI object can't be found during the set event, but it can stop those annoying failures on one iteration.

Quickest workaround for large data iterations for me has been a larger lab, breaking the data to run over several PCs or VM's so that it narrows the failure to a subset of the data.

I've contact as a friend who told me that he figured out a way to intercept the failure before it was written to the report, which sounds great, unless he's altered the function libraries of QTP?

To this day, most people still manually change the pass or fail within quality center. I will definitely get back to you no later than Friday of next week with an answer to your original question as it pertains to UFT 11.5.

I know a lot of the viewers of these blogs are both R&D and marketing, which drive updates and patches for both new and older versions of the application.

I hoping that R&D has some Feedback for you.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more