Alliances
1752555 Members
5055 Online
108788 Solutions
New Article
James_Greenham

A new era of compute – driving power and efficiency gains

Best in Class Power and Efficiency

For Enterprises and Service Providers, HPE ensures its customers’ data center transformation efforts succeed.

Digital transformation promises to revolutionize business processes and organization activities to drive success, efficiencies, and profits. And for most, it will be an utterly embarrassing failure. Why? Because many organizations continue to run their business on outdated infrastructure without an upgrade plan. At a time when business agility is most important, technology platform decisions can separate success from failure!

The Excitement Level Increases
The HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 server with AMD EPYC™ compute platform brings together dual-processor performance in a 1U, single-processor server at a lower cost. For even more demanding workloads, the HPE ProLiant DL385 extends this power with a 2U, two-socket configuration. These solutions deliver the innovation you need to drive agility and reduce risk to your business.

The more I learn about HPE servers with AMD EPYC™ processors—and how much compute and storage they offer in a compact and efficient solution—the more excited I get! Because this is a new generation of compute platform, the start of a new era! And my excitement? Well, apparently, I’m not alone. Major cloud service providers like Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud and Amazon Web Services offer AMD-based compute IaaS instances to their public cloud customers, so it’s already big and available at scale. The reason why? This is simple: AMD EPYC offers the best price-performance value which in turn enables those major CSP’s to deliver a robust and efficient service from a powerful platform!

Advanced Technology to Meet Growing Demands
The AMD EPYC processor includes 32 “Zen” cores with support for 128 PCIe lanes of I/O for reduced latency, 8 memory channels (2 more than the nearest competitive processor) for increased memory bandwidth, and up to 2TB of high-speed 2666 MTs/DDR4 memory per CPU socket.

If technical details make your head spin (a bit like mine), let me get to the bottom line: HPE with AMD offers greater I/O bandwidth, compute power and efficiency with built-in industry leading system security, all within a compact and efficient package! Now that’s easier to understand!

HPE’s unique platform has been engineered to deliver even more performance than the best in class price performance two socket servers available from the leading competitor in the market today, this allows you to drive even greater overall value from the platform investment.

The HPE ProLiant DL325 delivers higher virtual machine (VM) density for hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) aimed at cloud-based solutions, virtualized desktop infrastructure (VDI), software-defined storage, data analytics, and other enterprise needs. Combined with HPE OneView management platform you can optimize applications and VM deployment with a programmatic approach to managing infrastructure through efficient workflow automation, a modern dashboard, and a comprehensive partner ecosystem.

The HPE ProLiant DL385 offers more even capacity with up to 64 cores, 4TB of 128Gb DDR4 memory, that supports up to 24 NVMe drives, and three double-wide or five single-wide graphic processing units (GPUs) for workload acceleration. What’s more, it’s a record holder!!!! The HPE DL385 holds the world record for being the most energy efficient AMD-based server[1] . The most efficient of all AMD-based servers on the market today – from any vendor!

HPE and AMD Driving Innovation
AMD has a rich history in high performance computing and has created a long-term roadmap to give market surety to their plans and vision – it will see continued introductions of ‘market first’ innovations building on the current AMD EPYC processor advancements.

While its “Zen” architecture has enabled HPE to pack more performance than ever into its server design, AMD’s recently launched Zen2, a 7nm chip offers twice the density in terms of cores and memory channels, ensuring organizations benefit from the increased efficiency with even greater performance and scale, while consuming half the power. All of these breakthrough advances in technology enable business innovations that accelerate digital transformation journeys.

Read more about how HPE is extending the world’s most secure industry standard server portfolio with the introduction of the HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 server. The secure and flexible 2P 2U HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Server takes full advantage of the AMD EPYC processor’s high core count and memory capacity to deliver a new formula for server virtualization.

AMD blog series:

1. HPE and AMD Deliver A Competitive Edge  
  2. A new era of compute – driving power and efficiency gains  
  3. Advanced Security of HPE Servers with AMD EPYC™ processors  
  4. Use Cases for AMD EPYC™ based HPE servers 
  5. HPE & AMD: The Road to Future Innovation

James Greenham
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_UKI
linkedin.com/company/hewlett-packard-enterprise
hpe.com/uk/

[1] The stated leadership results are published as of 7-03-2018 to SPEC

0 Kudos
About the Author

James_Greenham

James has extensive experience working across many businesses, GTM sales motions and industry segments having held multiple varied roles since he joined HP 23 years ago. With a foundation in the services business through business development and pursuit leadership roles he's also held sales lead roles across SMB, Mid-Market and Global Accounts as well as Channel. He has further academic qualifications in management studies, is married with a daughter attending University, and in his spare time enjoys cycling, skiing and house renovations!