Alliances
1748156 Members
3740 Online
108758 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
EIC_Alliances

DevOps: What is it? Do I need it? What does it do? How do I buy it?

By Erwin Anderson-Smith, Software Lead for PwC Alliance

There seem to be a lot of questions these days on what exactly DevOps is. Similar to the Cloud topic five years ago, many people are talking about it, but uncertain of what exactly to do or the value it provides.

To me, DevOps is all about a fundamental shift relating to how software is developed and delivered to the business.  It is more about process and change, than it is about the technology.  Donโ€™t get me wrong, technology is essential.  However, how and who accesses the technology and what they do with it is at the core of DevOps.

DevOps is all about breaking down the silos between software development teams, testing teams and operations team to create a single team that encapsulates these silos. That means a developer is also responsible for testing his/her code and for ensuring operational deployment. The promise of DevOps is to deliver better software applications more swiftly to the business to provide a competitive advantage.   

Asking individuals to take on additional responsibility or step outside their comfort zone or even area of expertise is always challenging. In fact, many say it is the most challenging part of delivering successful DevOps adoption. So it is essential for any company considering DevOps to team with organizations with expertise in management of change principles to help guide employees through this sometimes difficult transformational journey. Organizations like HPE, PwC, and Adobe.

Thatโ€™s why I look forward to attending the โ€œFive Steps to DevOps Successโ€ delivered by PwC and Adobe at DiscoverDiscover London - Session - DevOps w location.png London.  I know PwC has worked with Adobe on their DevOps initiative and together they provide a unique perspective on the challenges that can disrupt DevOps adoption, and more importantly, how to avoid them!

So DevOps is not something you buy, but rather something you implement and adopt.   It is a set of core processes that breaks down the traditional operating model silos between Development/Test/Operations and creates single, unified team environment that allows organizations to capitalize on delivering applications to the business at an accelerated pace.

If DevOps is in your future and you plan to attend HPE Discover 2015 London, be sure to add the โ€œFive Steps to DevOps Successโ€ session to your agenda. If you canโ€™t make it to the event, get more information on this hot topic โ€ฆ and how HPE, PwC, and Adobe can help make your adoption successful โ€ฆ at the PwC DevOps site and at the HPE PwC Alliance site.

Stay informed
Join the Alliances LinkedIn Group
Follow us @HPE_Alliances and @HPE_AllianceOne -
Read the latest HPE Alliances Blogs

0 Kudos
About the Author

EIC_Alliances

HPE Alliance Partners