1752592 Members
2860 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Accessing ES45 Console ports

Mike R Smith
Frequent Advisor

Accessing ES45 Console ports

We have an ES45 that I am trying to connect to a Lantronix in order to have remote console access.  According to the ES45 owner's guide I should be able to connect to the COM1 MMJ-type serial /terminal or the 9 pin modem port.  In addition to these there is one other 9 pin COM2 port. 

My goal has been to run a connection from the 9 pin modem port to the lantronix.  I have tested using a laptop running hyperterminal to verify access.  I was able to verify connectivity to COM1 using an H8571-J connector and a decconnect cable but they belonged to an HP field engineer who let me try them for a few minutes.  This indicates to me that the console variable is set to serial.  The manual says the following:

"If you use a VT-type device as the console terminal, set the console environment variable to serial.  The VT device can be connected to the MMJ port or to the dedicated modem port."

I can't get any response out of the dedicated modem port.  I am able to connect into the server using the other 9 pin COM 2 port which sits just above the modem port.  That connects me in to terminal TTA0:  I used two terminal 9 pin connectors with a flat wire between to connect to my laptop.  When I move the same configuration down to the modem port, I do not get a response.  Any ideas why not?   

At one of our other sites they use the 9 pin dedicated modem port for console access.  The admin there uses a cable that is labeled Lantronix 500-103.  I tried using one of these to the modem port and still no response.  Is there something else that needs to be done?  Is it possible I have a bad modem port?  Any ideas whatsoever?

3 REPLIES 3
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Re: Accessing ES45 Console ports

Mike, even if the console varible is set to graphics you should be able to get a console prompt through either the MMJ or 9-pin connector with the right cabling.  Keep in mind that a connection to a DECserver-like port has to be correctly setup before it works (either directly or with Console Manager or ConsoleWorks).  That's why I'm not positive what your Lantronix requires, I've never used one.

I've setup a *lot* of Alpha systems with connections to terminal servers of many brands.  I'm not familiar with what you're calling a "Lantronix" but I've also connected to other non-DECserver or terminal server type devices (like a HP Secure Web console, J3591A).  In that case I used a standard MMJ cable, a 9-pin adapter and a 25-pin adapter.  Since I'm not sure what kind of connector you have on the Lantronix end I can't say what you need to plug into it.  I know that there are MANY types of MMJ-to-RJ45ish adapters and that some look right but are totally useless.  If it were my problem to solve I'd approach it from making a simple connection work (the fewer adapters the better, like to a VT terminal or a PC port you know works already) and then see what you have to change to get the cable plugged into the Lantronix.  The last thing you have to add is usually the culprit (especially if that turns out to be an off-brand MMJ-to-RJ45 giblet).

You might also need to 'get the "modem port's" attention...'  When you connect to that 9-pin port type <ESC><ESC>RMC and see if you get a RMC> prompt.  If you get a response type HELP.  The standard communication setting should be 9600bps 8-none-1 for that port but it can be changed (8bit, no parity, one stop bit)

If you need to use a 9-pin adapter to an MMJ cable, as you mentioned, you need a H8571-J at the Alpha.  IF you need a MMJ-RJ45 adapter to the Lantronix port then the STANDARD part is H8584-AC ***BUT*** that is the standard for a DECserver.  Some vendors use their own pin-out that requires a special/different MMJ-RJ45 adapter.  Check your MMJ cable, too.  IF your MMJ cable uses a flat (like a cable to your telephone) look at the jacket on the cable for a molded RIB or printing.  Make SURE that on both ends the printing or rib goes into the SAME side of the MMJ plug (for example:  the ribbed side of the cable goes into the clip-side of the plug on BOTH ends).  The beauty (and curse) of MMJ is that you can flip that cable, easily, over and crimp it "backwards."  It can work in the right configuration but *most* need it to be "straight through" with the cable rib aligned to the same side of the plug.  A cable built with round cable stock is fine but you HAVE to use wire colors to ensure the pin-out is correct.  Building a cable to replace the more common MMJ cable and MMJ adapters setup is OK as long as 1)  it matches the pin-out of the DEC BN24H cable and 2) the Lantronix uses the same RJ45 pin-out as a DECserver 90M (for instance).

bob

Mike R Smith
Frequent Advisor

Bob, thanks so much for replying.  You made some very good points which I will go through closely.  One idea that you mentioned, trying to get the attention of the port is exactly what one of our admins in Utah just shared with me.  I will be going in to the computer room in about half an hour and I will see what progress I can make from the points both of you shared with me.  The Lantronix cable per the Utah admin is specific for connecting to a Lantronix (type of terminal server). 

He also pointed out that it was different from the Dec type cabling.  He shared with me concerning the setup of an ES45 at the other data center, that they have a Lantronix cable part 500-103 RJ45-DB9F cable that essentially comes right out the back of the dedicated modem port and into the RJ45 port on the Lantronix.  Because the cable I have is only 6 feet I have an extender (RJ45 on both ends) and then a network cable plugged into the other side of the extender.  He warned me similar to your point about that any of these parts could be a problem.   I will be working with it hands on in just a few.

Mike R Smith
Frequent Advisor

The console is working now.  I ended up using the Lantronix 500-103 cable connected into the modem port.  An extender plug and a network cable completed the distance to the Lantronix port.  Connected in and things worked the first time.  The right pieces made all the difference.  I had just gotten the Lantronix cable in last week after trying futilely for quite some team to use a cable that really should be paired with Dec equipment as Bob pointed out.