Alpha Servers
1752758 Members
4842 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Alpha 2100a server disk failure

Liz_10

Alpha 2100a server disk failure

We have an old Aplha server which has decided to fall out with one of it's disks. We have a replacement disk, but no-one who will admit to having the expertise to change the disk. We're not even sure which disk to pull out of the back! Basically, we're looking for a 'dummies guide' to replacing a disk and getting advfs back onto it so the system will work again. I realise some basic knowledge would be preferable in this situation, but we are new to servers and have adopted these ones from people who don't want them anymore and have since left! Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Alpha 2100a server disk failure

Hi,

Sorry no Alha knowledge in my head :-)

But I have a suggestion if you are running VMS on it, copy this thread to the ITRC - openVMS - forum ( link is below )

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=288

Good luck,

Robert-Jan
CA984331
Regular Advisor

Hi,

is is one of the system disks or a data disk? Where is the disk located? Does it have an amber light on? What os release are you using?

Michael
If you want your words to count, count your words!
CA963445
Advisor

Hello Liz,

since you are talking advfs this system is running Tru64 (aka OSF/1 aka Digital Unix). The Tru64 gurus are over at

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=280

(although you already got one of their top members answering here ;-)

To exchange the disk physically will be your smallest problem (assuming you have a spare), since they are encased in Storageworks canisters and can just be snapped in and out of the shelf inside the 2100. Versions of Tru64 > 4.x have a graphical administration tool in /usr/sbin/checklist that might proof helpful.

Greetings, Martin