Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AlphaServer DS10 Graphics Card options

Highlighted
mrbovan
Occasional Visitor

AlphaServer DS10 Graphics Card options

I have a DS10 that was delivered virgin and without a video card option. I loaded OpenVMS v7.3.1 and various layered products via serial VT console. Subsequent to the initial OS/layered products install I received a 3Dlabs OXYGEN VX1 PCI Graphics Controller (SN-PBXGF-AB) that I cannot get the system use (PC remains dark) despite the fact that the card is recognized at POST and DECWINDOWS is started at boot. Help Please.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

Re: AlphaServer DS10 Graphics Card options

Hi,
You will want to pull down and install the latest patches for 7.3-1 which contains the device drivers for the VX1 Graphics card.

You will want to install all of the level 1 patches for 7.3-1.

Cheers,
Rick Retterer
- Rick Retterer

Highlighted
mrbovan
Occasional Visitor

Ok ... forgive me but how/where do I go to get the patch(s) and what do you mean by "level 1 patches" ?
Highlighted
mrbovan
Occasional Visitor

OK so after some blind digging around I found a site (http://www.openvms.org/stories.php) that had a link to OpenVMS patches. I grabbed VMS731_PCSI-V0200, VMS731_UPDATE-V0600 and VMS731_GRAPHICS-V0400 and followed the requisite installation directions.

Re-booted as necessary

Still nothing.

Is there something else that I need?
Could it be that the video card is faulty?
Highlighted
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Had a quick look in quickspecs and it seems to be supported.
What version of firmware are you running? If it is old then I would suggest that you update to the latest version. Check out:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/
You will be able to download the latest f/w for a ds10. If your f/w code is really old then you may need to upgrade in steps - read ALL the release notes from your start version to end version to verify.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Highlighted
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

VMS has been a long time for me but for TRU64 you need to set console variable to graphics?

had some occasions where DECwindows starts in too high reolution/frequency so the monitor does not accept the signal.
you can try another monitor first